More on Neumans from Banka

  • Nicholas Trahan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 1999
      My great-grandmother was Ethel Neuman. According to her US naturtalization
      papers she was born in Banka, Czechoslovakia on 25 December 1887. She
      emmigrated to the US aboard the SS La Bretagne from Havre, France on 9 May
      1911. She married Vito Zilka (b. Rakovice 15 June 1890) on 4 May 1913 in
      Bridgeport, Connecticut. According to her death certificate her father was
      "A. Neuman."

      Family lore always claimed that her father was a Rabbi in Piestany. She
      spoke seven languages.

      Any help would be grately appreciated.
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 1999
        Hi Nicholas!

        Have you checked the catalog at the FHC for records of Piesanty? Many
        records are now filmed by the LDS.

        While I can't really help you much at this point, its interesting to me
        that your family settled in Bridgeport, which mine also did! My Silhavy
        and Nechasek famiies settled there in 1903-4 , and my family still runs
        the Polke Funeral Home there. Are you still in Bridgeport area? Are you
        looking for any records and info there as I have some sources there that
        might be a help to you.

        Bridgeport seemed to be a fairly common destination for many Slovaks.

        Maura
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 1999
          Dear Maura, Nicholas and List,

          I am a new subscriber to this list. My Slovak Dad grew up in Bridgeport. I
          have not yet figured out when his parents' families arrived but I think it
          was after 1913 on both sides. It would be interesting to make a list of all
          the Slovak families that lived there from 1900 to 1930, and see how many
          people remember the families. His family names in Connecticut are Vangor,
          Klinka, and Dubak, and he says that there were in-laws named Fabry, Chonko,
          and Supala.

          For the record, I am researching the surnames Vangor, Samko, Szabados, and
          Fedor from C~akanovce, Abov; and Klinka and Rachel from Liptovska Porubka,
          Liptov. We also have Dubak and Capko relatives but I don't yet know their
          ancestral villages.

          Andrea Vangor

        • sabinov@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 24, 1999
            Hi Andrea....

            You can research those arrivals relatively easily using the guide to NY
            arrivals on my Helpful HInts page.... more than likely they came into NY
            to go to Bridgeport.

            The name Fabry in your posting rang a bell with me, so I dug out my
            Mom's old address book from the 70's, and found this entry

            Fabry, Joseph and Olly
            65 Fayerweather Terrace
            Bridgeport

            I remember my Mom and her dad talking about the Fabry's, but don't know
            if they were related or just friends. You'll have to ask your Dad if he
            knows of the Silhavy's, Nechasek's and Polke's, the Polke's are my
            godparents who still run the funeral home on Fairfield Ave. Polke's is
            the "Slovak" Funeral home, so most were buried out of there.

            My grandmother was Irene Silhavy who married John McCarthy in Bridgeport
            in 1920. Her brothers Joseph and William (who had been Bela) were
            firemen, as was John McCarthy.
            My grandfather John McCarthy was also a founder of the Fayerweather
            Yacht Club, and since the Fabry's lived on Fayerweather Terrace its
            possible that is how my family knew the Fabry's.

            My mother died in 1991. Possibly your Dad can shed some light on
            this.... we may not be related, but it sounds like our families knew
            each other somehow!

            Maura

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
            sabinov@...
            Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 24, 1999
              Thanks, Maura. I am all excited today because some of the microfilms
              arrived at the FHC and I am going over there this evening. But I do want to
              follow up on determining the arrival dates for my father's family, which I
              understand can also be done at the FHC --I will inquire about that tonight.

              I wonder if my relatives were buried out of your Polke Funeral home. It
              would make sense. To fill in more for you: My Dad's father was Andrew
              Vangor Sr., deceased. His parents were the immigrants. Janos (John) Vangor
              and his wife Barbara Fedorik (Borbala Fedor or Fedoryak). John Vangor had
              two sons, Andrew born in 1899 and John born in 1894. This son's birth
              certificate was re-issued in 1913 in Hungarian and the date was faked to
              make him five years younger. I have a copy of that interesting document.
              My theory is that they left Slovakia to keep their older son out of the
              Hungarian army on the eve of WWI. The family were fairly prosperous peasant
              farmers, and Janos had a brother Gyorgy who had seven children. SSDI showed
              several Vangors born in the 19th century who spent some time in Bridgeport.
              I think that my Dad was not told about the existence of other branches of
              the family, for some reason. He does remember being told that they were
              married into the Fabry, Chonko, and S~upala families, and seems to think
              that these people lived in the area.

              My Dad was an only child and his uncle John had three sons, Cornell, John
              (who came out to California and was the only one I knew) and Bill. All
              these cousins are deceased, but there children are still in the Fairfield
              area and have an electronics business. I have not contacted them yet to ask
              questions about the family history but plan to do so. My father is
              estranged from them because of problems with the cousins (but they are all
              dead -- so I will see what I can do with the survivors).

              Meanwhile, his mother Julia Klinka came to America some time between 1904
              when her younger sister Goldie was born, and 1918 when her half-sister
              Minnie Dubak was born. Rose Klinka nee Rachel came from Liptovska Porubka.
              Her husband Martin died in America, I assume, and she married Joseph Dubak.
              Her children by Martin included my grandmother Julia and great-aunt Goldie,
              Martin Klinka known as "Trickie" who became an alcoholic, and a boy named
              Rudolf. There is an interesting story about Rudolf, one that my Dad did not
              know. He was sent back to Slovakia because of an eye problem discovered at
              Ellis Island, presumably. He never immigrated, and his mother spent a lot
              of time in Slovakia until WWII. Rudolf had four sons, so I must have Klinka
              relatives over there. He was a freedom fighter during and after WWII.

              The Dubak children included Joseph, Minnie (my main informant until her
              death last year), and a couple of children who died young. Joseph's widow
              Ann is living and remembers some things. Her son Joe lives with her and I
              have asked him for help researching the family, especially the Dubak side.
              I have no information about their ancestral village, but do have his
              parent's names -- Paul Dubak and Alice Capko -- due to an erroneous entry on
              a death certificate. The form asked for the names of Rose Klinka Dubak's
              parents, and instead they wrote in her husband's parents' names. My
              great-aunt Minnie Dubak, who was unmarried, referred to "her" relatives in
              the area, so I think there must be Dubaks around somewhere although I did
              not find them with a People search. Perhaps they were females who married
              into another family.

              I hope this helps. It would be fun to find out that we connect up!

              Andrea