LDS Postscript

  • fasola1
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hello All:

      I don't mean to belabor the off-topic discussion and I will be brief.
      My "take" on the Mormon issue boils down to this: The information they
      provide from individuals who have researched their own ancestry is
      only as reliable as the provider, since they do not verify the
      documentation. I have been grateful for the information I got from
      them, and the films of the original documents/record books from other
      countries, including Slovakia/Hungary is invaluable. As for the
      sealing ceremony and their mandate to conduct genealogical research, I
      disagree with it doctrinally, but as many have said, that is their own
      business insofar as it doesn't materially affect others. The issue of
      the Holocaust survivors was unknown to me prior to reading this
      thread, but others have said here that it makes no difference to the
      deceased person, even if it bothers the living descendants.

      In summary, my suggestion is to be careful how you use data from their
      sources that comes from individuals. I have used their "submitted"
      resources only as secondary or tertiary documentation until I have a
      better (primary) source.

      Just my $.02...

      Cordially,

      Chris