O/T - Hay Racks (Oborohy)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2005
      Hay Racks (Oborohy)

      I would like to know if you have seen any Hay Racks (Oborohy) in Slovakia,
      Czech Republic or environs. It's a rather clever structure, with a roof
      that can move up/down as necessary. From what I can tell, they are no
      longer in use.

      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/hay_racks.htm

      The ones I am particularly interested in are structures with roofs, not
      the tall poles with hay we still see today.

      There is a debate raging as to the origins of these structures. One
      contention is that it is a uniquely Dutch structure, imported here
      (perhaps by the landowners?). Another academic insists they are
      universally found throughout Europe and that the Dutch have no claims on
      their originality. [if you read Dutch,
      http://www.hooiberg.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21 ]

      In my ancestral villages (see web page) they were used long ago. The claim
      is that they were unique to this small set of villages.

      I am interested in any comments you may have on the matter. Thanks!
      Bill Tarkulich
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2005
        Information on this structure can be seen online in the book "Hungarian
        Ethnography and Folklore" by Balassa and Ortutay
        (http://mek.oszk.hu/02700/02790/html/index.html). To find it from the Table
        of Contents page, travel the following headings: Material Anthropology -
        Settlement, Building, House Furnishing - Houses and Farm Buildings -
        Outbuildings in the Farmyard. An illustration is given at Figure 48 along
        with its description. The Hungarian word for this structure was "abora,"
        very similar to your Oborohy. According to this work, the structure was
        "frequently found along the upper region of the Tisza."

        This is a magnificent book and should be of interest to anyone wanting
        information about peasant life in the region in which Hungarian was spoken,
        including Slovakia. The hard copy is difficult to find and expensive. It is
        huge--over 800 oversized pages, and filled with illustrations. The only
        thing missing from the online version is the color plates.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2005
          Thank you Janet,
          This is a wonderful book, full of incredibly useful and informative
          history and information. It's going to go on my "reference shelf" right
          away.

          While it doesn't answer the hay rack orgin question, it does provide more
          evidence of the extent of this structure in Hungary. I wonder how far
          back these structures were used.

          Thanks again,
          Bill