Re: [S-R] ShtetlSeeker

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2005
      Well, the hurricane has departed the area and so business should be
      back up soon (if it survived).

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ahnensuche.net" <office@a...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2005
        It's back up, at least at
        http://www.stevemorse.org/
        which does link to jewishgen.org. Steve has removed his banner about
        hurricane backups, which leads me to believe it's operational again. I
        tried some of the links and they seem to work again.

        Here is the notice, posted last Friday.

        Avotaynu and JewishGen Servers Not Functioning
        Avotaynu and JewishGen websites are currently unavailable. The two sites
        share the same Internet Service Provider which is located in the Houston,
        Texas area in the path of Hurricane Rita. As a precaution, the hardware is
        being moved inland to Palestine, Texas (yes, Palestine). Even if the
        system comes up shortly, there is a risk is will go down again as the
        hurricane passes due to power failures or communication problems.
        ----

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2005
          Here is their followup notice, from this morning:
          Notice: Mon, Sept 26, 2005: We have re-located all of the JewishGen
          servers, out of the path of Hurricane Rita. Only the web server
          (www.jewishgen.org) is currently functional; the other servers, including
          the database and mailing list servers, will remain down until later this
          week. We apologize for any inconvenience.

          I did see that Shtetlseeker is operational as of 11:05AM EDT
          http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

          Bill