Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] searching JUHAZI- UHAZIE- DOLAK - IGLAW- SZMESONI

  • Jim Honeychuck
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
      You can locate the towns at
      http://www.jewishgen.org/shtetlseeker/loctown.htm
      (I didn't do it for you because the site is down at the moment.) Get all
      the alternate spellings.

      Then you can see if the church or synagogue records from there have been
      microfilmed by the Church of Latter Day Saints.
      http://www.familysearch.org/default.asp
      That's not exactly the web page you need, but it's the right site.

      Good luck in your search. I'm sure you will get more advice from others
      shortly.
      Jim

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
        I am advised by my parents, who grew up in ethnic communities in
        Pennsylvania, that Juhazi may be Hungarian rather than Slovak. Anyway, the
        name Juhasz does occur in Slovakia, so stay with this list.

        Jim

        > (I didn't do it for you because the site is down at the moment.) Get all
        > the alternate spellings.
        >
        > Then you can see if the church or synagogue records from there have been
        > microfilmed by the Church of Latter Day Saints.
        > http://www.familysearch.org/default.asp
        > That's not exactly the web page you need, but it's the right site.
        >
        > Good luck in your search. I'm sure you will get more advice from others
        > shortly.
        > Jim

      • JK
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
          > I am advised by my parents, who grew up in ethnic communities in
          > Pennsylvania, that Juhazi may be Hungarian rather than Slovak. Anyway,
          the
          > name Juhasz does occur in Slovakia, so stay with this list.

          The surname Juhas is also spelled Yuhas in my area (could be an
          Americanization, not sure, would have to ask those who carry the surname)
          and those I am aware of had ancestors from Slovakia and identify as of
          Slovak heritage.

          Best Regards,
          Joy K

        • helenezx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
            In a message dated 3/23/0 1:56:09 AM, Rubi2341@... writes:

            << IGLAW and SZMESONI. >>

            Hi Ruby

            Pretty sure Iglo is now Spisska Nova Ves and Szmesoni is likely what is
            now Smizany just a few kilometers west. How were these places mentioned? On
            a document. Glad to read an old document if you want to send a copy - likely
            would have clues.

            Do you have any birthdates for your ancestors who emigrated from Slovakia,
            then Austro-Hungary?

            In our Slovak Pride data base I have about 6 listings for Dolak and they
            are all but one from a village called Siroke in Saris, the next county over.
            Have helped two families find Dolak relatives there.

            We have a lot of Juhas, Judhaz, Yuhas, Yudhaz listings - if you want to
            contact a lister let me know.

            Do you have any documents from the old country, letters with return
            addresses or photos of people in folk dress - all these might provide clues.
            The Citizenship papers should tell place of birth as well as the declaration
            of intent. If the person got social security they had to prove date of birth
            and the Social Security index might be helpful.

            Good luck!

            helene
          • Michelle Moreland Orlando
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
              Not any way that your DOLAK could have been BOLAK? I have BOLAK in my DZULA family
              in Deshno,Sarok,Poland.
              Michelle in TX

              Rubi2341@... wrote:

              > From: Rubi2341@...
              >
              > I am new to this list but I was told that I may be able to find information
              > on my ancestors here. On the 1900 census of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, we
              > found our ancestor John Uhazie and family. It said they emmigrated from
              > Austria in 1885. Searching through papers and letters we found the name
              > JUHAZI, so we think they Americanized it to UHAZIE. There was mention of the
              > cities of IGLAW and SZMESONI. How can we search further to find if this is
              > where they origionated from?
              > John Uhazie married Mary Dolak and had the following children with them,
              > Katherine, John Jr.,and Michael.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.
              > Sincerely
              > Ruby Uhazie in Houston, Texas
              >
              > E-Mail  rubi2341@...

              > DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
              > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
              > Apply NOW!
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28, 2000
                I have Juhasz connections from the Rankovce area.

                > > I am advised by my parents, who grew up in ethnic communities in
                > > Pennsylvania, that Juhazi may be Hungarian rather than Slovak. Anyway,
                > the
                > > name Juhasz does occur in Slovakia, so stay with this list.
                >
                > The surname Juhas is also spelled Yuhas in my area (could be an
                > Americanization, not sure, would have to ask those who carry the surname)
                > and those I am aware of had ancestors from Slovakia and identify as of
                > Slovak heritage.
                >
                > Best Regards,
                > Joy K

              • Frank Kurchina
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
                  > I have Juhasz connections from the Rankovce area.

                  The surname Juhasz and Juhas do appear in Slovakia.
                  And there are probably 15000 Juhász surname bearers living just
                  in Hungary.
                  In Hungarian the letter -sz is pronounced like the letter s.

                  A major class of surnames are called occupationals because they
                  derive from the occupation or office held by an individual.
                  For example, Kovács (black)smith or Molnár (miller)
                  In Hungarian, Juhász means shepherd.

                  The -i ending in a Hungarian surname indicates it is a locative
                  surname, formed from a person's place of birth, place of origin,
                  or place of residence.
                  Names of this type are formed by adding suffix -i to name of a
                  village, province , or other geographic location.
                  For example, Erdélyi, meaning from Erdély.

                  Locatives are useful when the surname bearer is not currently
                  in the location from which that name derives.
                  That is, Janos Juhazi (John, from Juhaz) would not be known
                  by that name while he was still in his town/village of Juhaz;
                  probably would be other Juhazi surname bearers named Janos
                  living there.

                  If there were two people with the same given name Janos in town, a
                  phrase or descriptive charcteristic was used to help distinguish
                  them.
                  For example, known in his home town as Janos, son of György, and
                  known as Janos from Juhazi while in another location.

                  As for IGLAW, perhaps Iglawa, Jihlava (C), Iglau (G) located
                  in Moravia, Czech Republic.
                • JPasqua342@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2000
                    I am not sure who is looking for Uhazie, but e-mail me direct and I'll give
                    you a lead on Uhazies around the Uniontown, Pa area.

                    Joann
                    JPasqua342@...