Need help with spelling of last name.

  • Sherry Karson-Simon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hello to all. I have recently joined the group. My name is Sharon Karson and I have, recently ,become interested in finding my families roots if possible. The first thing I need to establish is the spelling or spellings of a last name. .....At some point our family name was changed from Krasonja....Kzyonja...Karzonja to Karson. I only heard the name a few times in childhood and that was many many moons ago. Can anyone come up with the correct spelling or something more concrete than my memory.

      Thanks to all,

      Sherry

      Sherry Karson-Simon

      301-980-9989

      Pilates20878@...

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
        Actually, the spelling of the surname is NOT the issue.

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
        is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally,
        so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also
        necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia,
        knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site:

        Does it help you to know that the following names appear in the Slovak
        phone book: Krasoò, Karšòák?
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
          Hello Sherry and welcome.

          I probably don't have the answer you seek, but can give you some clues.

          In this region, there is probably no one "correct" spelling. Each
          language may have rendered the spelling of the surname differently.
          Consequentially, you may have several "correct" spellings.

          It would be helpful to know the source and time period of each of the
          surname variants. Were the rendered in folklore, written in a document
          (which one?) or some other means? What was their language and religion?
          Did you believe them to be ethnic Slovak, Czech, Ukraine, Magyar, Rusyn,
          or another? What year did the subject(s) immigrate?

          Bill Tarkulich

          > Hello to all. I have recently joined the group. My name is Sharon Karson
          > and I have, recently ,become interested in finding my families roots if
          > possible. The first thing I need to establish is the spelling or
          > spellings of a last name. .....At some point our family name was changed
          > from Krasonja....Kzyonja...Karzonja to Karson. I only heard the name a
          > few times in childhood and that was many many moons ago. Can anyone come
          > up with the correct spelling or something more concrete than my memory.
          >
          > Thanks to all,
          >
          > Sherry

        • Sherry Karson-Simon
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
            Thanks Bill for the info!

            Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:Hello Sherry and welcome.

            I probably don't have the answer you seek, but can give you some clues.

            In this region, there is probably no one "correct" spelling. Each
            language may have rendered the spelling of the surname differently.
            Consequentially, you may have several "correct" spellings.

            It would be helpful to know the source and time period of each of the
            surname variants. Were the rendered in folklore, written in a document
            (which one?) or some other means? What was their language and religion?
            Did you believe them to be ethnic Slovak, Czech, Ukraine, Magyar, Rusyn,
            or another? What year did the subject(s) immigrate?

            Bill Tarkulich

            > Hello to all. I have recently joined the group. My name is Sharon Karson
            > and I have, recently ,become interested in finding my families roots if
            > possible. The first thing I need to establish is the spelling or
            > spellings of a last name. .....At some point our family name was changed
            > from Krasonja....Kzyonja...Karzonja to Karson. I only heard the name a
            > few times in childhood and that was many many moons ago. Can anyone come
            > up with the correct spelling or something more concrete than my memory.
            >
            > Thanks to all,
            >
            > Sherry

            Sherry Karson-Simon

            301-980-9989