RE: [S-R] Help with Geography!

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18, 2005
      Hello Becky,
      It would be too much to try and give you a history of this region via email.
      I will provide pointed answers to your questions and we can go from there.

      The former lands of Bohemia are today encompassed by the new nation of the
      Czech Republic. Since this is a Slovak-oriented research list, our help
      will be limited. You'll need some Czech-specific help. See below.

      1. Kutna Hora, Bohemia
      The town of Kutna Hora is located in today's Czech Republic. Here is a
      contemporary map. http://tinyurl.com/7fge2

      2. Cervena Shotz, Bohemia
      I can't place this one for certain, but I would bet it too is in the Czech
      republic.
      Here are some villages in present-day Czech republic. I find no close match
      with phonetic spellings:
      Format: Village name, district name.
      Stará Červená Voda
      Jeseník
      Červená Třemešná
      Jičín
      Červená Hora
      Náchod
      Červená Řečice
      Pelhřimov
      Červená Lhota
      Třebíč
      Červená Voda
      Ústí nad Orlicí

      Sometimes we try the sounds-like feature in Shtetlseeker for clues:
      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp but nothing arises, in all
      of eastern Europe. I suspect something got lost in the transcription of
      "schotz".

      If this village is where George's sister is, I'd be inclined to look at a
      map (I gave you in (1) for a nearby village of the similar name.

      You can also check ship manifests at ellisisland.org for other Pavlik
      immigrants to see what villages they came from. Perhaps you'll hit on
      another from the same village.

      3. Isowabanfakvu, Slovak
      This one is for sure pretty mangled. It is a Magyar (Hungary) name, and the
      author was presumably writing about the "Slovak-lands). The village names
      were in Magyar before 1918 when Hungary ruled this region. Afterwards, in
      general, they assumed Slovak names.

      I am going to take a shot here at the village of " Isowabanfakvu". How
      about
      ZSOLNABANFALVA ?
      This is the present day BANOVA, a suburb of (or more fairly stated, annexed
      into) ZILINA.
      See it on a map here http://tinyurl.com/c3zps
      In 1910, this village had a population of 833, 6 Magyar, 14 German, 797
      Slovaks.; 817 Roman catholic, 14 Jews. It would be likely that this
      immigrant would be ethnic Slovak and Roman Catholic. Does this fit? (I
      don't have these data for Bohemia/Czech Republic, sorry.)

      HISTORY

      Now, for a bigger, but fairly simplistic perspective. These are
      generalizations with exceptions, but for the most part it applies to your
      research.

      1. Before WWI, Hungary ruled what is the Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
      2. Before WWI, Austria ruled the Czech Republic, which then was called the
      province of Bohemia and Moravia.
      3. Between WWI and 1993, the nation of Czechoslovakia was composed of
      present-day Slovak and Czech Republics, except for some pieces over in
      Ukraine.
      I can provide you with links to Slovakia history. See
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/history.htm or http://tinyurl.com/75bm9
      Sorry, I don't have a similar reference to Austria/Czech.

      BTW, I think you know " Turaj" is a mis-transcription of "Juraj" = George

      Hope this helps.

      Regards,

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      p.s., It's really a shot in the dark to expect anyone to be familiar with
      your families. Many families that share the same surname are entirely
      unrelated.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 18, 2005
        I checked the Ellis Island records for these three:
        I checked the Ellis Island records for these three:

        "Turaj Bahak Paolik" was misread from Juraj Bahak Pavlik (Juraj = George).
        His birthplace was Marikova Hungary, which today is Dolna Marikova in NE
        Slovakia, while Kutna Hora in Bohemia was just his last place of residence.

        His wife's record (Anna Duratin, the last name is pretty clear) has her born
        in Zsolanfalu (I can't imagine how the transcribers could have misread that
        as Isowabanfakvu!), which probably should have been Zsolnafalu, which is
        today Cachtice in western Slovakia. Did you notice the manifest lists her
        mother as Ewa (I think, at any rate it doesn't look like Beata or Hila)
        Duratin back in Europe, and her destination was to her father Andras
        (Andrew) Duratin in West Virginia?

        His sister Eva's last place of residence was Cervena Lhota, Bohemia. Her
        birth place is Marikova too. Her sister is Maria Micik? in Marikova
        "Bohemia" - an error, as Marikova was in Hungary then.

        Joe A.

      • scorpioforu
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 19, 2005
          Joseph,
          Thank you so much for your response.
          You said " > His wife's record (Anna Duratin, the last name is pretty
          clear) has her born
          > in Zsolanfalu (I can't imagine how the transcribers could have
          misread that
          > as Isowabanfakvu!), which probably should have been Zsolnafalu,
          which is
          > today Cachtice in western Slovakia. Did you notice the manifest
          lists her
          > mother as Ewa (I think, at any rate it doesn't look like Beata or
          Hila)
          > Duratin back in Europe, and her destination was to her father Andras
          > (Andrew) Duratin in West Virginia?"
          Where do you see that information about her mother? I didn't see it
          and was just looking at the manifset again. Anna traveled alone and
          her mother's maiden name was Beata Hila (this is probably not spelled
          correctly but it should be phonetically close) Her father Andrew
          Duratny did come over for the wedding, but traveled alone.
          Again, thank you for your help.

          Becki
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 19, 2005
            Most manifests from 1904+ are two pages.

            > Joseph,
            > Thank you so much for your response.
            > You said " > His wife's record (Anna Duratin, the last name is pretty
            > clear) has her born
            >> in Zsolanfalu (I can't imagine how the transcribers could have
            > misread that
            >> as Isowabanfakvu!), which probably should have been Zsolnafalu,
            > which is
            >> today Cachtice in western Slovakia. Did you notice the manifest
            > lists her
            >> mother as Ewa (I think, at any rate it doesn't look like Beata or
            > Hila)
            >> Duratin back in Europe, and her destination was to her father Andras
            >> (Andrew) Duratin in West Virginia?"
            > Where do you see that information about her mother? I didn't see it
            > and was just looking at the manifset again. Anna traveled alone and
            > her mother's maiden name was Beata Hila (this is probably not spelled
            > correctly but it should be phonetically close) Her father Andrew
            > Duratny did come over for the wedding, but traveled alone.
            > Again, thank you for your help.
            >
            > Becki

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 19, 2005
              As someone else posted, these manifests are two pages. Go back one page
              to see the rest of her manifest. Taking a second look, I see where they
              misread "Isowabanfakvu" from - on that page, her last permanent residence is
              given as "Zsona-banfalva", and her mother is living in "Zsobanfalva".

              Not sure what to make of all this, as we have Zsolnafalva, Zsolnabanfalva,
              and Zsobanfalva as what must be the same place! Zsolnafalva is today
              Cachtice, but I couldn't find matches for the other versions, they might
              just be errors for the first. Alternatively, the Zsolna part could refer to
              the town of Zilina, which is near Dolna Marikova, so that might make more
              sense. That leaves the "banfalva" part unexplained though - maybe somebody
              else on the list has some good ideas here.

              For "Meako, Austria-Hungary", I'm betting that was supposed to be Marikova.

              Joe

              You said " > His wife's record (Anna Duratin, the last name is pretty
              clear) has her born
              > in Zsolanfalu (I can't imagine how the transcribers could have
              misread that
              > as Isowabanfakvu!), which probably should have been Zsolnafalu,
              which is
              > today Cachtice in western Slovakia. Did you notice the manifest
              lists her
              > mother as Ewa (I think, at any rate it doesn't look like Beata or
              Hila)
              > Duratin back in Europe, and her destination was to her father Andras
              > (Andrew) Duratin in West Virginia?"
              Where do you see that information about her mother? I didn't see it
              and was just looking at the manifset again. Anna traveled alone and
              her mother's maiden name was Beata Hila (this is probably not spelled
              correctly but it should be phonetically close) Her father Andrew
              Duratny did come over for the wedding, but traveled alone.
              Again, thank you for your help.

              Becki
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 21, 2005
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
                <JArmata@g...> wrote:
                > As someone else posted, these manifests are two pages. Go back one
                page
                > to see the rest of her manifest. Taking a second look, I see where
                they
                > misread "Isowabanfakvu" from - on that page, her last permanent
                residence is
                > given as "Zsona-banfalva", and her mother is living in
                "Zsobanfalva".

                > Not sure what to make of all this, as we have Zsolnafalva,
                Zsolnabanfalva,
                > and Zsobanfalva as what must be the same place! Zsolnafalva is
                today
                > Cachtice, but I couldn't find matches for the other versions, they
                might
                > just be errors for the first. Alternatively, the Zsolna part could
                refer to
                > the town of Zilina, which is near Dolna Marikova, so that might make
                more
                > sense. That leaves the "banfalva" part unexplained though - maybe
                somebody
                > else on the list has some good ideas here.
                >
                > For "Meako, Austria-Hungary", I'm betting that was supposed to be
                Marikova.

                > Joe

                Joe, Becki, Bill et al,

                As you know the online Ellis Island Records (1892-1924) ship
                manifests are full of misspellings and mistranscriptions because the
                Mormon "volunteers" who did the transcribing spoke no foreign
                languages.

                Zsolnafala, Zsolnafalva, Zolnafalwa (H) = Z^elovany' (Sk) now part of
                C^achtice (Sk)
                -falva, -falu, - falwa means "village" in Magyar.

                Meako, Austria -H was Marikova, Marikowa, Marikó (H) = now Dolná
                Mariková (Sk)

                Interestingly the Juraj (George) Paolik ? Pavlik in the 1906 mainifest
                was born in Mari ... ova.
                He was going to his friend Juraj Pavolik ? in Pittsburgh PA.
                Perhaps at Elizabeth Street in Pittsburgh ?

                Anna Duratin in the 1910 manifest was Anna D^uratny' going to her
                father's András (Andrew) address in Spince (Spencer) Roane CO W VA
                where coal is no longer a business.

                http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvcoal/

                Anna's mother was listed as Ersa ? Erzsébth (H) Elizabeth back in
                Zsobanfalu, Hungary.

                Zsolnabánfalva, Bánfalva (H) = Bánová (Sk) now part of Z^ilina.

                Today the Slovakia telephone directory lists the surname D^uratny'
                under Z^ilina and Rosina.

                Frank K

              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 21, 2005
                  At 07:19 PM 21/09/2005, you wrote:

                  >Joe, Becki, Bill et al,
                  >
                  >As you know the online Ellis Island Records (1892-1924) ship
                  >manifests are full of misspellings and mistranscriptions because the
                  >Mormon "volunteers" who did the transcribing spoke no foreign
                  >languages.

                  I think it would also be because the people at Ellis island who took the
                  details were not familiar with European languages .

                  Nick
                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 21, 2005
                    Excellent, that explains it! Then my bet is those three versions of
                    the placename where Anna came from all refer to what's now Banova,
                    part of the town of Zilina, which is very near Dolna Marikova.
                    Cachtice is too far away to be a likely candidate.

                    Joe A.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 21, 2005
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                      > At 07:19 PM 21/09/2005, you wrote:
                      >
                      > >Joe, Becki, Bill et al,
                      > >
                      > >As you know the online Ellis Island Records (1892-1924) ship
                      > >manifests are full of misspellings and mistranscriptions because
                      the
                      > >Mormon "volunteers" who did the transcribing spoke no foreign
                      > >languages.
                      >

                      > I think it would also be because the people at Ellis island who took
                      the
                      > details were not familiar with European languages .
                      >
                      > Nick

                      Nick

                      Prepác^te.
                      To nie je pravda !

                      The foreign language translators used at Ellis Island (NYC) pre-WW I
                      period to interrogate the arriving immigrants were well paid and spoke
                      many languages, on the average 5-7 different ones. Some knew more
                      foreign languages.
                      But, today the INS has a problem because they don't have enough
                      agents who know Arabic (the language of WMD) to check out immigrants
                      arriving in the USA.

                      Frank K
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 21, 2005
                        I agree with Nick that the scribe probably introduced his own set of
                        errors to the mix. To clarify one point however, the manifests were
                        prepared by the Purser of the shipping company at port of departure.

                        "...It is true that immigrant names were mangled in the process...The
                        report that the clerk "wrote down" the immigrants surname is suspect.
                        During immigration inspection at Ellis Island, the immigrant confronted an
                        inspector who had a passenger list already created abroad. That inspector
                        operated under rules and regulations ordering that he was not to change
                        the or identifying information found for any immigrant UNLESS requested by
                        the immigrant, and unless inspection demonstrated the original information
                        was in error.

                        Furthermore, it is nearly impossible that no one could communicate with
                        the immigrant. One third of all immigrant inspectors at Ellis Island early
                        this century were themselves foreign-born, and all immigrant inspectors
                        spoke an of three languages. They were assigned to inspect immigrant
                        groups based on the languages they spoke. If the inspector could not
                        communicate, Ellis Island employed an army of interpreters full time, and
                        would call in temporary interpreters under contract to translate for
                        immigrants speaking the most obscure tongues."
                        Source:
                        http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/history/articles/NameEssay.html or here
                        http://tinyurl.com/7vr9c

                        Bill