RE: [S-R] virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner" - File Type

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2005
      Your are correct, the pps extention makes the
      PowerPoint file, that is usually stored as ppt an
      "executable" file that will start the slide show when
      opened instead of opening up with the PowerPoint edit
      screen.

      Dr. "Q"

      http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/life.is.beautiful.hoax.html

      > PowerPoint presentations have the file extension
      > "ppt"
      > not "pps".
      >
      > Please do not use internet resources with this type
      > of
      > message.
      >
      > Dr. "Q"
      >
      > --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Simon R. "Sam" Krizan
      > > SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812
      > > fax:419-791-0918
      > > VERY IMPORTANT
      > WARNING
      > > Please Be Extremely
      > > Careful especially if using internet mail such as
      > > Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so
      > > on. This information arrived this morning from
      > > Microsoft and Norton. Please
      > > send it to everybody you know who accesses the
      > > Internet. You may receive an
      > > apparently harmless email with a Power Point
      > > presentation "Life is
      > > beautiful. pps". If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE
      > > FILE UNDER ANY
      > > CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. if you
      > > open this file, a message
      > > will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late
      > > now, your life is no
      > > longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE
      > > EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the
      > > person who sent it to you gain access to your
      > name,
      > > e-mail and password.
      > > This is a new virus which started to circulate on
      > > Saturday afternoon.. WE
      > > NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS.
      > > AOL has already confirmed
      > > the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not
      > > capable of destroying it.
      > > The virus has been created by a hacker who calls
      > > himself "life owner".
      > > PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR
      > FRIENDS
      > > and PASS IT ON
      > > IMMEDIATELY

      > American

      can+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=Ameri

      can+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+fami

      ly+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=KHsWwGhmNUfcNGl3wGwoH
      > Q> family home insurance
      >
      > American

      w1=American+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&

      w3=American+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Sin

      gle+family+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=7072oQdqh-ixy
      > 5QNIlgM4A> family home insurance company
      >
      > American

      =American+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3

      =American+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Singl

      e+family+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=SLnJnROoeuzjw3R
      > 6FgeXWg> family home owner insurance
      >

      > Multi

      family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American+

      family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+h

      ome+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=nF0fLsYV9Tlf-C83-3_nNA>
      > family home for sale
      >
      > Single

      +family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American

      +family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+

      home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=XpRhRrQ7ZY9_bBfGYZXysQ>
      > family home for sale
      >
      > Family

      home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American+family+

      home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+home+for

      +sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=YcQDIotQRP9DR00deJTjqQ>

      http://mail.yahoo.com