Re: [S-R] virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner"

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
      I am making an exception in responding:

      This is a HOAX see:

      http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/life.is.beautiful.hoax.html

      PowerPoint presentations have the file extension "ppt"
      not "pps".

      Please do not use internet resources with this type of
      message.

      Dr. "Q"

      --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:

      > Simon R. "Sam" Krizan
      > SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812
      > fax:419-791-0918
      > VERY IMPORTANT WARNING
      > Please Be Extremely
      > Careful especially if using internet mail such as
      > Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so
      > on. This information arrived this morning from
      > Microsoft and Norton. Please
      > send it to everybody you know who accesses the
      > Internet. You may receive an
      > apparently harmless email with a Power Point
      > presentation "Life is
      > beautiful. pps". If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE
      > FILE UNDER ANY
      > CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. if you
      > open this file, a message
      > will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late
      > now, your life is no
      > longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE
      > EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the
      > person who sent it to you gain access to your name,
      > e-mail and password.
      > This is a new virus which started to circulate on
      > Saturday afternoon.. WE
      > NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS.
      > AOL has already confirmed
      > the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not
      > capable of destroying it.
      > The virus has been created by a hacker who calls
      > himself "life owner".
      > PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS
      > and PASS IT ON
      > IMMEDIATELY

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • David Decker
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
        Powerpoint can also have the ext. pps btw

        Did not read further into the email, but I will have agree with Q

        Dave

        _____

        --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:

        > Simon R. "Sam" Krizan
        > SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812
        > fax:419-791-0918
        > VERY IMPORTANT WARNING
        > Please Be Extremely
        > Careful especially if using internet mail such as
        > Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so
        > on. This information arrived this morning from
        > Microsoft and Norton. Please
        > send it to everybody you know who accesses the
        > Internet. You may receive an
        > apparently harmless email with a Power Point
        > presentation "Life is
        > beautiful. pps". If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE
        > FILE UNDER ANY
        > CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. if you
        > open this file, a message
        > will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late
        > now, your life is no
        > longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE
        > EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the
        > person who sent it to you gain access to your name,
        > e-mail and password.
        > This is a new virus which started to circulate on
        > Saturday afternoon.. WE
        > NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS.
        > AOL has already confirmed
        > the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not
        > capable of destroying it.
        > The virus has been created by a hacker who calls
        > himself "life owner".
        > PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS
        > and PASS IT ON
        > IMMEDIATELY

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+family+home+insurance&w1=Ameri
        can+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=Ameri
        can+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+fami
        ly+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=KHsWwGhmNUfcNGl3wGwoH
        Q> family home insurance

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+family+home+insurance+company&
        w1=American+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&
        w3=American+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Sin
        gle+family+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=7072oQdqh-ixy
        5QNIlgM4A> family home insurance company

        American
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+family+home+owner+insurance&w1
        =American+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3
        =American+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Singl
        e+family+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=SLnJnROoeuzjw3R
        6FgeXWg> family home owner insurance

        Multi
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w1=American+
        family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American+
        family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+h
        ome+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=nF0fLsYV9Tlf-C83-3_nNA>
        family home for sale

        Single
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Single+family+home+for+sale&w1=American
        +family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American
        +family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+
        home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=XpRhRrQ7ZY9_bBfGYZXysQ>
        family home for sale

        Family
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+home+finance&w1=American+family+
        home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American+family+
        home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+home+for
        +sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=YcQDIotQRP9DR00deJTjqQ> home
        finance

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "SLOVAK-ROOTS
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> " on the web.

        _____

      • Dr. Joe Q
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2005
          Your are correct, the pps extention makes the
          PowerPoint file, that is usually stored as ppt an
          "executable" file that will start the slide show when
          opened instead of opening up with the PowerPoint edit
          screen.

          Dr. "Q"

          http://mail.yahoo.com