virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner"

  • S. R.
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
      Simon R. "Sam" Krizan
      SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812 fax:419-791-0918
      VERY IMPORTANT WARNING Please Be Extremely
      Careful especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so
      on. This information arrived this morning from Microsoft and Norton. Please
      send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet. You may receive an
      apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation "Life is
      beautiful. pps". If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY
      CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. if you open this file, a message
      will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no
      longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the
      person who sent it to you gain access to your name, e-mail and password.
      This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.. WE
      NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS. AOL has already confirmed
      the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not capable of destroying it.
      The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner".
      PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and PASS IT ON
      IMMEDIATELY
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
        I am making an exception in responding:

        This is a HOAX see:

        http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/life.is.beautiful.hoax.html

        PowerPoint presentations have the file extension "ppt"
        not "pps".

        Please do not use internet resources with this type of
        message.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:

        > Simon R. "Sam" Krizan
        > SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812
        > fax:419-791-0918
        > VERY IMPORTANT WARNING
        > Please Be Extremely
        > Careful especially if using internet mail such as
        > Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so
        > on. This information arrived this morning from
        > Microsoft and Norton. Please
        > send it to everybody you know who accesses the
        > Internet. You may receive an
        > apparently harmless email with a Power Point
        > presentation "Life is
        > beautiful. pps". If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE
        > FILE UNDER ANY
        > CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. if you
        > open this file, a message
        > will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late
        > now, your life is no
        > longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE
        > EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the
        > person who sent it to you gain access to your name,
        > e-mail and password.
        > This is a new virus which started to circulate on
        > Saturday afternoon.. WE
        > NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS.
        > AOL has already confirmed
        > the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not
        > capable of destroying it.
        > The virus has been created by a hacker who calls
        > himself "life owner".
        > PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS
        > and PASS IT ON
        > IMMEDIATELY

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • David Decker
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
          Powerpoint can also have the ext. pps btw

          Did not read further into the email, but I will have agree with Q

          Dave

          _____

          --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:

          > Simon R. "Sam" Krizan
          > SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812
          > fax:419-791-0918
          > VERY IMPORTANT WARNING
          > Please Be Extremely
          > Careful especially if using internet mail such as
          > Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so
          > on. This information arrived this morning from
          > Microsoft and Norton. Please
          > send it to everybody you know who accesses the
          > Internet. You may receive an
          > apparently harmless email with a Power Point
          > presentation "Life is
          > beautiful. pps". If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE
          > FILE UNDER ANY
          > CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. if you
          > open this file, a message
          > will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late
          > now, your life is no
          > longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE
          > EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the
          > person who sent it to you gain access to your name,
          > e-mail and password.
          > This is a new virus which started to circulate on
          > Saturday afternoon.. WE
          > NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS.
          > AOL has already confirmed
          > the severity, and the antivirus Software's are not
          > capable of destroying it.
          > The virus has been created by a hacker who calls
          > himself "life owner".
          > PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS
          > and PASS IT ON
          > IMMEDIATELY

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+family+home+insurance&w1=Ameri
          can+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=Ameri
          can+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+fami
          ly+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=KHsWwGhmNUfcNGl3wGwoH
          Q> family home insurance

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+family+home+insurance+company&
          w1=American+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&
          w3=American+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Sin
          gle+family+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=7072oQdqh-ixy
          5QNIlgM4A> family home insurance company

          American
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+family+home+owner+insurance&w1
          =American+family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3
          =American+family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Singl
          e+family+home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=SLnJnROoeuzjw3R
          6FgeXWg> family home owner insurance

          Multi
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w1=American+
          family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American+
          family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+h
          ome+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=nF0fLsYV9Tlf-C83-3_nNA>
          family home for sale

          Single
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Single+family+home+for+sale&w1=American
          +family+home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American
          +family+home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+
          home+for+sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=XpRhRrQ7ZY9_bBfGYZXysQ>
          family home for sale

          Family
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+home+finance&w1=American+family+
          home+insurance&w2=American+family+home+insurance+company&w3=American+family+
          home+owner+insurance&w4=Multi+family+home+for+sale&w5=Single+family+home+for
          +sale&w6=Family+home+finance&c=6&s=212&.sig=YcQDIotQRP9DR00deJTjqQ> home
          finance

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "SLOVAK-ROOTS
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> " on the web.

          _____

        • Dr. Joe Q
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2005
            Your are correct, the pps extention makes the
            PowerPoint file, that is usually stored as ppt an
            "executable" file that will start the slide show when
            opened instead of opening up with the PowerPoint edit
            screen.

            Dr. "Q"

            http://mail.yahoo.com