Nyahashazy and Ket Egyhaz

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
      Tracing my Slovak family back some 10 generations I start coming across
      names that appear to be Hungarian.

      I have an 8th great-grandmother named Alzbeta Nyahashazy. I cannot find any
      more information about her or her family. It appears that she may have come
      from a town called Ket Egyhaz.

      I know this is a shot in the dark, but does anybody have any information
      about any Nyahashazy family? Does anybody have any information about Ket
      Egyhaz?

      From what I could gather, the family fled from somewhere in Transylvania to
      the Bratislava area when the Turks invaded the area in 1567.

      Any help will be appreciated.

      Milan Huba
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
        Greetings Milan,

        There is a village called KETEGYHAZA in BEKES county, GYULAI district
        (jaras).
        Here is a present-day map of it: http://tinyurl.com/8lhtb
        KETEGYHAZA is on the border with Romania. It's possible it was a part of
        Transylvania, it seems close, but I am no expert on that region.

        In 1910 It had a population of 4379. 1398 Magyar, 66 germans, 2942
        romanians, 58 croats; 1269 roman catholic, 101 reform, 2841 greek orthodox
        (yes). If they were born in KETEGYHAZA, it is unlikely (though nothing is
        impossible) they were ethnic Slovak as you state. Now, if they married into
        a Slovak family, that changes things.

        Good Luck,

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Tracing my Slovak family back some 10 generations I start coming across
        names that appear to be Hungarian.

        I have an 8th great-grandmother named Alzbeta Nyahashazy. I cannot find any
        more information about her or her family. It appears that she may have come
        from a town called Ket Egyhaz.

        I know this is a shot in the dark, but does anybody have any information
        about any Nyahashazy family? Does anybody have any information about Ket
        Egyhaz?

        >From what I could gather, the family fled from somewhere in
        >Transylvania to
        the Bratislava area when the Turks invaded the area in 1567.

        Any help will be appreciated.

        Milan Huba

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Milan Huba
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2005
          Bill:

          Thank you for the information and the map... This looks like the town that
          I was looking for as it is very close to Gyula. I really do appreciate your
          help.

          Most of my ancestors happened to be soldiers and one of them was killed in
          Gyula when the Turks overran and captured the fortress in 1567. After the
          Gyula area was overrun by the Turks, much of the civilian population,
          including some of my ancestors who lived in the Gyula area, fled westward
          and settled in the Bratislava area. Prior to 1567, the people who lived in
          and around Gyula area were a mixture of many different ethnic groups that
          came from different areas of the Hungarian Kingdom. Most of the civilians
          were the dependents of the soldiers who were recruited in other areas of the
          Kingdom and brought to the Gyula area to guard the frontier against the
          Turks.

          Perhaps back in 1567, my ancestors didn't consider themselves to be ethnic
          Slovaks. But their descendents who fled to the Bratislava area and lived
          there for the next 400 years considered themselves to be 100% Slovak. My
          grandparent who were born and raised in the Bratislava area, spoke German
          and Hungarian, but Slovak was their primary language that they spoke in
          their home. But more important they told me that they were Slovak and I was
          a Slovak too. It was only later in life, after I got into genealogy that I
          discover that many of our more distant ancestors had what appeared to be
          Hungarian, Serbian and even German names. That is why I am trying to get
          information on the Nyahashazy family. The name appears to be Hungarian.

          This is similar to what we have here in America. Many Americans consider
          themselves to be nothing but American, but going back many generations, you
          would find that they were a mixture of many different nationalities. But,
          this was all be lost in time and today they consider themselves to be
          nothing but American.

          Once again, thank you for your help,