FHC: FamilySearch Indexing - Volunteer

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2005
      Dear Group,
      Here is the reply I received about volunteering for the indexing project. When I hear back from them on accepting individuals to participate I will post it.
      Michael Mojher

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
        Tracing my Slovak family back some 10 generations I start coming across
        names that appear to be Hungarian.

        I have an 8th great-grandmother named Alzbeta Nyahashazy. I cannot find any
        more information about her or her family. It appears that she may have come
        from a town called Ket Egyhaz.

        I know this is a shot in the dark, but does anybody have any information
        about any Nyahashazy family? Does anybody have any information about Ket
        Egyhaz?

        From what I could gather, the family fled from somewhere in Transylvania to
        the Bratislava area when the Turks invaded the area in 1567.

        Any help will be appreciated.

        Milan Huba
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2005
          Greetings Milan,

          There is a village called KETEGYHAZA in BEKES county, GYULAI district
          (jaras).
          Here is a present-day map of it: http://tinyurl.com/8lhtb
          KETEGYHAZA is on the border with Romania. It's possible it was a part of
          Transylvania, it seems close, but I am no expert on that region.

          In 1910 It had a population of 4379. 1398 Magyar, 66 germans, 2942
          romanians, 58 croats; 1269 roman catholic, 101 reform, 2841 greek orthodox
          (yes). If they were born in KETEGYHAZA, it is unlikely (though nothing is
          impossible) they were ethnic Slovak as you state. Now, if they married into
          a Slovak family, that changes things.

          Good Luck,

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Tracing my Slovak family back some 10 generations I start coming across
          names that appear to be Hungarian.

          I have an 8th great-grandmother named Alzbeta Nyahashazy. I cannot find any
          more information about her or her family. It appears that she may have come
          from a town called Ket Egyhaz.

          I know this is a shot in the dark, but does anybody have any information
          about any Nyahashazy family? Does anybody have any information about Ket
          Egyhaz?

          >From what I could gather, the family fled from somewhere in
          >Transylvania to
          the Bratislava area when the Turks invaded the area in 1567.

          Any help will be appreciated.

          Milan Huba

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Milan Huba
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2005
            Bill:

            Thank you for the information and the map... This looks like the town that
            I was looking for as it is very close to Gyula. I really do appreciate your
            help.

            Most of my ancestors happened to be soldiers and one of them was killed in
            Gyula when the Turks overran and captured the fortress in 1567. After the
            Gyula area was overrun by the Turks, much of the civilian population,
            including some of my ancestors who lived in the Gyula area, fled westward
            and settled in the Bratislava area. Prior to 1567, the people who lived in
            and around Gyula area were a mixture of many different ethnic groups that
            came from different areas of the Hungarian Kingdom. Most of the civilians
            were the dependents of the soldiers who were recruited in other areas of the
            Kingdom and brought to the Gyula area to guard the frontier against the
            Turks.

            Perhaps back in 1567, my ancestors didn't consider themselves to be ethnic
            Slovaks. But their descendents who fled to the Bratislava area and lived
            there for the next 400 years considered themselves to be 100% Slovak. My
            grandparent who were born and raised in the Bratislava area, spoke German
            and Hungarian, but Slovak was their primary language that they spoke in
            their home. But more important they told me that they were Slovak and I was
            a Slovak too. It was only later in life, after I got into genealogy that I
            discover that many of our more distant ancestors had what appeared to be
            Hungarian, Serbian and even German names. That is why I am trying to get
            information on the Nyahashazy family. The name appears to be Hungarian.

            This is similar to what we have here in America. Many Americans consider
            themselves to be nothing but American, but going back many generations, you
            would find that they were a mixture of many different nationalities. But,
            this was all be lost in time and today they consider themselves to be
            nothing but American.

            Once again, thank you for your help,