Your Zemplen Roots

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
      Let's play with some geography.

      According to phone listings, Mazensky/Mazenska are (only) found in
      Trebisov and nearby Vojcice and also up north in Humenne. Tomko is a
      common name and there are a raft of them in the area. There are no
      Mazenkos in all Slovakia. Plichta appears in Michalovce, midway
      between the two areas.

      Using Podrobny Auto Atlas to find "Topol?" near either of the above
      areas, we come up with ONE possibility. Topolany is a northern
      suburb of Michalovce. That supports the Plichta connection but does
      not help us with picking Trebisov/Vojcice vs Humenne as a potential
      family base, which it may not be. A train track joins both areas to
      Michalovce and so we are back in Topolany!

      Having gone down the geographical road this far, you have some
      realistic options. I would start with the MARRIAGE of Maria Plichta
      to Mazensky in Topolany. If you locate that record, the rest will
      become obvious.

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and
      deaths for Topol'any, Slovakia; formerly Topolyán, Zemplén.

      Krstení 1779-1848 -- Sobášení 1779-1847 -- Zomrelí 1779-1847 - FHL
      INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 1 ]

      Krstení 1848-1861 -- Sobášení 1848-1861 -- Zomrelí 1848-1861 - FHL
      INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 2 ]

      Krstení 1862-1873 -- Sobášení 1862-1873 -- Zomrelí 1862-1873 - FHL
      INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 3 ]

      Krstení 1874-1884 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 4 ]

      Krstení 1884-1894 -- Sobášení 1874-1901 -- Zomrelí 1874-1898 - FHL
      INTL Film [ 1794068 Item 1 ]

      DRUHOPISYʹ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1882-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
      1794068 Item 2 ]

      Another avenue for research is the 1869 Hungarian Census. Luckily,
      all the Zemplen "TOPO" villages are on the SAME film and so you can
      check all for the family names at once.

      Topoloka (Topol̓ovka) -- Topolya (Topol̓a) -- Topolyán (Topol̓any) --
      Tokaj FHL INTL Film #720007

      Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      research.

      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      translations.

      LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
      details.

      Good luck.
    • geniekid39
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
        -Thanks, I think! I will use your info as a guide. Will let you know!
        Barbi-- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>

      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
          Could someone please translate this little phrase for me in Slovak?

          Happy 25th (or Silver) Anniversary!

          Thank you!

        • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
            Vsetko najlepsie k dvadsiatemu piatemu vyrociu svadby. (Happy 25 anniversary)

            I hope it helps

            Sylvia

            Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
            Could someone please translate this little phrase for me in Slovak?

            Happy 25th (or Silver) Anniversary!

            Thank you!

          • Susan Friedhaber-Hard