[S-R] Re: Slovakia Map overlaid with Old Hungary Counties

  • geniekid39
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
      This is what I know-Paul,John and Michael came from "Zemplenska Zupa,
      Topoli and could have been Mazenkos but are now Tomko" With some help
      I found Zemplen and the possible area. They were coal miners and
      attended the Slovak Catholic church.Our Tomko married a Mary Plichta-I
      assume from same area. I did find them in various census-they did not
      spell the name the same each time! This has all been interesting to me
      'cause I am a died in the wool New England (1750s) product!Thanks---
      In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich"
      <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
      > Confusion, conspusion, that's why we are here. To confound you
      further ;)

      > Topola (Topolya) is close to my ancestral villages of Zboj and Nova
      Sedlica
      > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Topola.htm
      > This village is predominantly Rusyn.
      > TOMKO is not a name indigenous to this village.
      >
      > More likely, TOPOLCANY(a.k.a., TOPOLANY, TOPOLYAN, TOPOLANY) (suburb of
      > Michalovce (Nagy Mihaly)) is it. There are a number of TOMKO in the
      village
      > today (based on phone book).
      >

      > What church denomination did they attend?
      > Did they say they were from the Carpathian mountains? What
      ethnicity did
      > they say that they were?
      > Where did you get the village name from?
      > Did he say he was from Zemplin county (Zupa)?
      >
      > ______________
      > Bill Tarkulich

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
        Let's play with some geography.

        According to phone listings, Mazensky/Mazenska are (only) found in
        Trebisov and nearby Vojcice and also up north in Humenne. Tomko is a
        common name and there are a raft of them in the area. There are no
        Mazenkos in all Slovakia. Plichta appears in Michalovce, midway
        between the two areas.

        Using Podrobny Auto Atlas to find "Topol?" near either of the above
        areas, we come up with ONE possibility. Topolany is a northern
        suburb of Michalovce. That supports the Plichta connection but does
        not help us with picking Trebisov/Vojcice vs Humenne as a potential
        family base, which it may not be. A train track joins both areas to
        Michalovce and so we are back in Topolany!

        Having gone down the geographical road this far, you have some
        realistic options. I would start with the MARRIAGE of Maria Plichta
        to Mazensky in Topolany. If you locate that record, the rest will
        become obvious.

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and
        deaths for Topol'any, Slovakia; formerly Topolyán, Zemplén.

        Krstení 1779-1848 -- Sobášení 1779-1847 -- Zomrelí 1779-1847 - FHL
        INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 1 ]

        Krstení 1848-1861 -- Sobášení 1848-1861 -- Zomrelí 1848-1861 - FHL
        INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 2 ]

        Krstení 1862-1873 -- Sobášení 1862-1873 -- Zomrelí 1862-1873 - FHL
        INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 3 ]

        Krstení 1874-1884 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 4 ]

        Krstení 1884-1894 -- Sobášení 1874-1901 -- Zomrelí 1874-1898 - FHL
        INTL Film [ 1794068 Item 1 ]

        DRUHOPISYʹ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1882-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
        1794068 Item 2 ]

        Another avenue for research is the 1869 Hungarian Census. Luckily,
        all the Zemplen "TOPO" villages are on the SAME film and so you can
        check all for the family names at once.

        Topoloka (Topol̓ovka) -- Topolya (Topol̓a) -- Topolyán (Topol̓any) --
        Tokaj FHL INTL Film #720007

        Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
        to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
        film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
        research.

        TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
        translations.

        LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
        See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
        details.

        Good luck.
      • geniekid39
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
          -Thanks, I think! I will use your info as a guide. Will let you know!
          Barbi-- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>

        • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
            Could someone please translate this little phrase for me in Slovak?

            Happy 25th (or Silver) Anniversary!

            Thank you!

          • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
              Vsetko najlepsie k dvadsiatemu piatemu vyrociu svadby. (Happy 25 anniversary)

              I hope it helps

              Sylvia

              Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
              Could someone please translate this little phrase for me in Slovak?

              Happy 25th (or Silver) Anniversary!

              Thank you!

            • Susan Friedhaber-Hard