Slovakia Map overlaid with Old Hungary Counties

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2005
      Slovakia Map overlaid with Old Hungary Counties

      I've found a very nice overlay map comparing present-day Slovakia to the
      old Hungary Counties. Since it is in the public domain, I included it in
      my web pages.
      You can find it here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm#new
    • S. R.
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 13, 2005
        To: Bill Tarkulich,
        Thank you for this map overlay. My wife's grandfather said they immigrated
        from Hungary and Zemplin. For 36 years I thought he was Hungarian. Low &
        Behold it was a county of Slovakia. Does that make my wife 1/2 Slovak?
        This also might explain why he changed his name to Kish. Was he hiding from
        the Hungarians?
        Simon

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2005
          Hello Simon,
          Let me go over a couple things to get us level:

          1. You WGF came from the Kingdom of Hungary, Zemplin County.

          2. Be careful not to confuse ethnicity with nationality. Just as you can
          be an (ethnic) Italian and live in (nation) Germany, a (ethnic) Slovak
          could live in the (nation) Hungary. That said, an ethnic Italian could
          also reside in the nation of Italy. On the other side, just because you
          live in Italy, does not make you ethnic Italian.

          3. There were many ethnicities living in the nation of Hungary. Magyar
          (Hungarian), Slovak, Czech(Bohemian), Jewish, German, Rusyn and so on.
          Even in Slovakia today, we have all of the above still living there.

          4. Zemplin county was quite big. After WWI, it was severed in two, the
          bottom half remaining in Hungary, the top half in today's Slovakia. The
          Slovakia side of Zemplin was made up of predominantly Rusyn to the north,
          Slovak to the west and Magyar and Slovak to the south.

          5. I have a 1910 census that shows the ethnic makeup of each village.
          Give me the village name and I can tell you the percent ethnic makeup. It
          won't prove your ethnicity, but the odds will be in your favor.
          So to answer your question, is your wife 1/2 Slovak, we don't know. You
          don't have enough information to determine that yet. Get me the village
          name and we will.

          6. There were a hundred reasons why people changed their surnames once
          they immigrated. The most often used reason was to make it simpler to
          pronounce, to blend in, to minimize discrimination.

          7. There was no reason to hide from the Hungarians. After 1918/WWI, the
          nation was sufficiently powerless anyways.

          8. There was no love affair between the Slovaks and Rusyns and their
          Hungarian Rulers. Slovaks and Rusyns were predominantly peasants,
          Hungarians were the landowners and masters.

          Hope this helps. Let me know the village name.

          Sincerely,

          Bill Tarkulich

          > To: Bill Tarkulich,
          > Thank you for this map overlay. My wife's grandfather said they
          > immigrated
          > from Hungary and Zemplin. For 36 years I thought he was Hungarian. Low &
          > Behold it was a county of Slovakia. Does that make my wife 1/2 Slovak?
          > This also might explain why he changed his name to Kish. Was he hiding
          > from
          > the Hungarians?
          > Simon

        • geniekid39
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 13, 2005
            You have found another way to confuse me! My grand-in-laws were from
            Hungary-depending on the census taker- and I do think they changed
            their name. They are now Tomkos from the WilkesBarre, PA area and I
            have found that learning about them is really interesting. However,
            they are from either Topola or something to that effect and they did
            not tell stories about "the old country".
            Thanks,Barbi--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich"
            <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
            > Slovakia Map overlaid with Old Hungary Counties
            >
            > I've found a very nice overlay map comparing present-day Slovakia to the
            > old Hungary Counties. Since it is in the public domain, I included
            it in
            > my web pages.
            > You can find it here:
            > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm#new
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 13, 2005
              "from either Topola or something to that effect"

              Using the 1828 list of villages for Zemplen Megye = county, these are
              the village names that begin with "T". Topolovka, Topolya, Topolyan,
              Topoly-Hermany.

              I have studied the Tomko name extensively but only those from Malcice
              and Falkusovce are in southern Zemplen Megye (county).

              If you come up with any other clues, let us know.
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 13, 2005
                Confusion, conspusion, that's why we are here. To confound you further ;)

                Topola (Topolya) is close to my ancestral villages of Zboj and Nova Sedlica
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Topola.htm
                This village is predominantly Rusyn.
                TOMKO is not a name indigenous to this village.

                More likely, TOPOLCANY(a.k.a., TOPOLANY, TOPOLYAN, TOPOLANY) (suburb of
                Michalovce (Nagy Mihaly)) is it. There are a number of TOMKO in the village
                today (based on phone book).

                What church denomination did they attend?
                Did they say they were from the Carpathian mountains? What ethnicity did
                they say that they were?
                Where did you get the village name from?
                Did he say he was from Zemplin county (Zupa)?

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
                > Slovakia Map overlaid with Old Hungary Counties
                >
                > I've found a very nice overlay map comparing present-day Slovakia to
                > the old Hungary Counties. Since it is in the public domain, I
                > included
                it in

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
                  This is what I know-Paul,John and Michael came from "Zemplenska Zupa,
                  Topoli and could have been Mazenkos but are now Tomko" With some help
                  I found Zemplen and the possible area. They were coal miners and
                  attended the Slovak Catholic church.Our Tomko married a Mary Plichta-I
                  assume from same area. I did find them in various census-they did not
                  spell the name the same each time! This has all been interesting to me
                  'cause I am a died in the wool New England (1750s) product!Thanks---
                  <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
                  > Confusion, conspusion, that's why we are here. To confound you
                  further ;)

                  > Topola (Topolya) is close to my ancestral villages of Zboj and Nova
                  Sedlica
                  > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Topola.htm
                  > This village is predominantly Rusyn.
                  > TOMKO is not a name indigenous to this village.
                  >
                  > More likely, TOPOLCANY(a.k.a., TOPOLANY, TOPOLYAN, TOPOLANY) (suburb of
                  > Michalovce (Nagy Mihaly)) is it. There are a number of TOMKO in the
                  village
                  > today (based on phone book).
                  >

                  > What church denomination did they attend?
                  > Did they say they were from the Carpathian mountains? What
                  ethnicity did
                  > they say that they were?
                  > Where did you get the village name from?
                  > Did he say he was from Zemplin county (Zupa)?
                  >
                  > ______________
                  > Bill Tarkulich

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
                    Let's play with some geography.

                    According to phone listings, Mazensky/Mazenska are (only) found in
                    Trebisov and nearby Vojcice and also up north in Humenne. Tomko is a
                    common name and there are a raft of them in the area. There are no
                    Mazenkos in all Slovakia. Plichta appears in Michalovce, midway
                    between the two areas.

                    Using Podrobny Auto Atlas to find "Topol?" near either of the above
                    areas, we come up with ONE possibility. Topolany is a northern
                    suburb of Michalovce. That supports the Plichta connection but does
                    not help us with picking Trebisov/Vojcice vs Humenne as a potential
                    family base, which it may not be. A train track joins both areas to
                    Michalovce and so we are back in Topolany!

                    Having gone down the geographical road this far, you have some
                    realistic options. I would start with the MARRIAGE of Maria Plichta
                    to Mazensky in Topolany. If you locate that record, the rest will
                    become obvious.

                    LDS has Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and
                    deaths for Topol'any, Slovakia; formerly Topolyán, Zemplén.

                    Krstení 1779-1848 -- Sobášení 1779-1847 -- Zomrelí 1779-1847 - FHL
                    INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 1 ]

                    Krstení 1848-1861 -- Sobášení 1848-1861 -- Zomrelí 1848-1861 - FHL
                    INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 2 ]

                    Krstení 1862-1873 -- Sobášení 1862-1873 -- Zomrelí 1862-1873 - FHL
                    INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 3 ]

                    Krstení 1874-1884 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794067 Item 4 ]

                    Krstení 1884-1894 -- Sobášení 1874-1901 -- Zomrelí 1874-1898 - FHL
                    INTL Film [ 1794068 Item 1 ]

                    DRUHOPISYʹ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1882-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
                    1794068 Item 2 ]

                    Another avenue for research is the 1869 Hungarian Census. Luckily,
                    all the Zemplen "TOPO" villages are on the SAME film and so you can
                    check all for the family names at once.

                    Topoloka (Topol̓ovka) -- Topolya (Topol̓a) -- Topolyán (Topol̓any) --
                    Tokaj FHL INTL Film #720007

                    Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
                    to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
                    film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
                    research.

                    TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
                    translations.

                    LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
                    See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
                    details.

                    Good luck.
                  • geniekid39
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
                      -Thanks, I think! I will use your info as a guide. Will let you know!
                      Barbi-- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>

                    • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
                        Could someone please translate this little phrase for me in Slovak?

                        Happy 25th (or Silver) Anniversary!

                        Thank you!

                      • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 15, 2005
                          Vsetko najlepsie k dvadsiatemu piatemu vyrociu svadby. (Happy 25 anniversary)

                          I hope it helps

                          Sylvia

                          Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
                          Could someone please translate this little phrase for me in Slovak?

                          Happy 25th (or Silver) Anniversary!

                          Thank you!

                        • Susan Friedhaber-Hard