Re: [S-R] Castle Garden Database is ONLINE

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
      Bill,
      I'm using Foxfire. The pages of names at first did not complete appear. When I clicked on Print Preview the total page could be seen, not only in Print Preview but then at the website. Interesting problem.
      Mike
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
        Paula,

        Have you been able to find a source for the Baltimore records. I'm looking
        circa 1905 and do not know the port of entry.

        Jim Crownover-
      • Paula
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
          I have a friend that has a membership with Ancestry and she looked
          them up for me. The LDS I believe has the records also.
          Do you know what port they sailed from? My family sailed out of
          Bremen. Another place you might want to try is David Dreyer's
          database.
          What names are you looking for?

          paula

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
            I suspect the problem has something to do with your browser (or Windows)
            display/screen defaults. I've seen problems like this before and it usually
            was because the web designer didn't use a standard method for displaying the
            page.
            I think the ball is probably in the web sites' court. I hesitate to
            complain too quickly to them, since they are offering quite a bit of data
            for free.

            Perhaps a more computer-minded reader will come up with a clever fix,
            perhaps by adjusting some settings.

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
              On the Poland Border mail list, people have suggested pushing the "reload"
              or "refresh" button.

              Separately, I have also not found a way to do wildcard or partial searches.
              So if your name is misspelled badly, you may have to resort to the paid
              service. Other ideas are appreciated.

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden databases.

                Doris

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Cool! Any suprises?

                  > I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden
                  > databases.
                  >
                  > Doris

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Doris