Re: [S-R] Castle Garden Database is ONLINE

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
      I realize that now. I didn't this morning. My family didn't come
      over until 1906-07. They came in thru Baltimore. Later members did
      come in thru Ellis Island.

      paula

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
      > Ellis Island does not have records on the people who came through
      Castle
      > Garden.
      >
      > Elizabeth
      > Virginia

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
        Bill,
        I'm using Foxfire. The pages of names at first did not complete appear. When I clicked on Print Preview the total page could be seen, not only in Print Preview but then at the website. Interesting problem.
        Mike
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
          Paula,

          Have you been able to find a source for the Baltimore records. I'm looking
          circa 1905 and do not know the port of entry.

          Jim Crownover-
        • Paula
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
            I have a friend that has a membership with Ancestry and she looked
            them up for me. The LDS I believe has the records also.
            Do you know what port they sailed from? My family sailed out of
            Bremen. Another place you might want to try is David Dreyer's
            database.
            What names are you looking for?

            paula

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
              I suspect the problem has something to do with your browser (or Windows)
              display/screen defaults. I've seen problems like this before and it usually
              was because the web designer didn't use a standard method for displaying the
              page.
              I think the ball is probably in the web sites' court. I hesitate to
              complain too quickly to them, since they are offering quite a bit of data
              for free.

              Perhaps a more computer-minded reader will come up with a clever fix,
              perhaps by adjusting some settings.

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                On the Poland Border mail list, people have suggested pushing the "reload"
                or "refresh" button.

                Separately, I have also not found a way to do wildcard or partial searches.
                So if your name is misspelled badly, you may have to resort to the paid
                service. Other ideas are appreciated.

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                  I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden databases.

                  Doris

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Cool! Any suprises?

                    > I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden
                    > databases.
                    >
                    > Doris

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Doris