Re: [S-R] Castle Garden Database is ONLINE

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
      Ellis Island does not have records on the people who came through Castle
      Garden.

      Elizabeth
      Virginia

    • Paula
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
        I realize that now. I didn't this morning. My family didn't come
        over until 1906-07. They came in thru Baltimore. Later members did
        come in thru Ellis Island.

        paula

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
        > Ellis Island does not have records on the people who came through
        Castle
        > Garden.
        >
        > Elizabeth
        > Virginia

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
          Bill,
          I'm using Foxfire. The pages of names at first did not complete appear. When I clicked on Print Preview the total page could be seen, not only in Print Preview but then at the website. Interesting problem.
          Mike
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
            Paula,

            Have you been able to find a source for the Baltimore records. I'm looking
            circa 1905 and do not know the port of entry.

            Jim Crownover-
          • Paula
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
              I have a friend that has a membership with Ancestry and she looked
              them up for me. The LDS I believe has the records also.
              Do you know what port they sailed from? My family sailed out of
              Bremen. Another place you might want to try is David Dreyer's
              database.
              What names are you looking for?

              paula

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                I suspect the problem has something to do with your browser (or Windows)
                display/screen defaults. I've seen problems like this before and it usually
                was because the web designer didn't use a standard method for displaying the
                page.
                I think the ball is probably in the web sites' court. I hesitate to
                complain too quickly to them, since they are offering quite a bit of data
                for free.

                Perhaps a more computer-minded reader will come up with a clever fix,
                perhaps by adjusting some settings.

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                  On the Poland Border mail list, people have suggested pushing the "reload"
                  or "refresh" button.

                  Separately, I have also not found a way to do wildcard or partial searches.
                  So if your name is misspelled badly, you may have to resort to the paid
                  service. Other ideas are appreciated.

                  ______________
                  Bill Tarkulich

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                    I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden databases.

                    Doris

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                      Cool! Any suprises?

                      > I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden
                      > databases.
                      >
                      > Doris

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Doris