Castle Garden Database is ONLINE

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3 4:50 PM
      If you are interested in immigrant records (manifest extractions) from
      CastleGarden , their database went online August 1st, 2005.

      "CastleGarden.org offers free access to an extraordinary database of
      information on 10 million immigrants from 1830 through 1892, the year Ellis
      Island opened"

      There doesn't appear to be access to the manifest images, but suffice to
      say, the manifests of this period didn't collect any more info than is
      shown. Of course, there is always room for transcription error. Wait for
      Steve Morse to get his hands on this site and make life easier for us!

      www.castlegarden.org

      Enjoy!
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3 5:09 PM
        With this information - ship and date, you should be able to go to the FHL
        and pull the microfilm with the appropriate manifest. Good luck!

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3 6:12 PM
          A nice review by Dick Eastman can be found here:
          http://tinyurl.com/cvcjo

          I will be interested in hearing the experience of various users.

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3 6:47 PM
            I could not view the whole screen. I could copy it and paste it and see everything.

            Doris

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3 7:02 PM
              Yes, I've already heard that from others. I like your work-around.
              It may have to do with the default screen colors and background settings on
              your browser, but I cannot be certain.
              Many people, including myself can see everything. Have you tried a
              different browser like Firefox? http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3 7:23 PM
                I was in Castle Garden this morning and the records only go into the
                late 1800's. They don't have everything transcribed yet. You can go
                to Ellis Island and get the same thing along with the original
                manifest, etc. I think I'll stick with Ellis Island.

                paula

                ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On

              • EMSCRS@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3 7:27 PM
                  Ellis Island does not have records on the people who came through Castle
                  Garden.

                  Elizabeth
                  Virginia

                • Paula
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3 7:33 PM
                    I realize that now. I didn't this morning. My family didn't come
                    over until 1906-07. They came in thru Baltimore. Later members did
                    come in thru Ellis Island.

                    paula

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@a... wrote:
                    > Ellis Island does not have records on the people who came through
                    Castle
                    > Garden.
                    >
                    > Elizabeth
                    > Virginia

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3 7:39 PM
                      Bill,
                      I'm using Foxfire. The pages of names at first did not complete appear. When I clicked on Print Preview the total page could be seen, not only in Print Preview but then at the website. Interesting problem.
                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3 7:54 PM
                        Paula,

                        Have you been able to find a source for the Baltimore records. I'm looking
                        circa 1905 and do not know the port of entry.

                        Jim Crownover-
                      • Paula
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 3 7:56 PM
                          I have a friend that has a membership with Ancestry and she looked
                          them up for me. The LDS I believe has the records also.
                          Do you know what port they sailed from? My family sailed out of
                          Bremen. Another place you might want to try is David Dreyer's
                          database.
                          What names are you looking for?

                          paula

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 4 4:55 AM
                            I suspect the problem has something to do with your browser (or Windows)
                            display/screen defaults. I've seen problems like this before and it usually
                            was because the web designer didn't use a standard method for displaying the
                            page.
                            I think the ball is probably in the web sites' court. I hesitate to
                            complain too quickly to them, since they are offering quite a bit of data
                            for free.

                            Perhaps a more computer-minded reader will come up with a clever fix,
                            perhaps by adjusting some settings.

                            ______________
                            Bill Tarkulich

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 4 5:38 AM
                              On the Poland Border mail list, people have suggested pushing the "reload"
                              or "refresh" button.

                              Separately, I have also not found a way to do wildcard or partial searches.
                              So if your name is misspelled badly, you may have to resort to the paid
                              service. Other ideas are appreciated.

                              ______________
                              Bill Tarkulich

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 4 1:59 PM
                                I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden databases.

                                Doris

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 4 4:35 PM
                                  Cool! Any suprises?

                                  > I found my great-grandfather in the Ellis Island and Castle Garden
                                  > databases.
                                  >
                                  > Doris

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Doris