RE: [S-R] Re: PLICHTA Surname Database

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
      Barbi,

      Your Mary is a mystery to me.

      If her first child Mary was born in 1904 after having been gone for 15
      years, she would have been in Europe during the time of the 1900 census.
      After she returned to America you would think you could find her in the 1910
      census but she would be listed with her married name Tomko.

      Have you searched the 1910, 1920 or 1930 censuses? You might try Thomas as
      well as Tomko in your search. When I find some time I'll look also.

      I'll keep your message handy and check more later.
      Frank

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
        Oh yes!! Everytime I found them, with some help, the name was spelled
        differently. It is Tomco on the deed, it is Tomchak on the early
        census and is Tomko on the 1930 census. Peter is Paul in the census;
        he was my Paul's father. He was born in 1906, so we put MARY TOMKO AT
        1904. These people could nither write nor read English. The
        grandfather sometime spelled Tomcho, when asked. Fun, right? Barbi---