Re: [S-R] An excellent researcher in Slovakia

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      I agree that Mick is very good, very helpful and a worthwhile
      "investment." His ability and willingness to conduct field work is as
      important as his archives/records research. This includes knocking on
      doors, taking photos, make meeting arrangements and locating important
      places is important. The most important skill and genealogist can have is
      the ability to put it all into context of time, history and culture. His
      intimate knowledge of Eastern Slovakia is a very good resource. Is he
      doing this work full-time now?

      Bill Tarkulich

      > I heartily concur. With a limited budget, Michael found my grandmother's
      > family in record time. When we made the trip to the Slovak Republic, we
      > were able to meet with my mother's cousin, her daughters, and her
      > daughers' children. He also found cemeteries, churches and for two days
      > showed us Slovak hospitality. And his rates are extremely reasonable.
      >
      > Linda

    • Linda Hartlaub
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        I believe he is. When we were there, he told me that his genealogy
        research allows him to make a decent living although he does get a little
        tired of being in dusty old archives. He would like to branch out and
        take more photos - both fine art and commercial.

        Linda

        I agree that Mick is very good, very helpful and a worthwhile
        "investment." His ability and willingness to conduct field work is
        as
        important as his archives/records research. This includes knocking
        on
        doors, taking photos, make meeting arrangements and locating
        important
        places is important. The most important skill and genealogist can
        have is
        the ability to put it all into context of time, history and culture.
        His
        intimate knowledge of Eastern Slovakia is a very good resource. Is
        he
        doing this work full-time now?

        Bill Tarkulich

        > I heartily concur. With a limited budget, Michael found my
        grandmother's
        > family in record time. When we made the trip to the Slovak
        Republic, we
        > were able to meet with my mother's cousin, her daughters, and her
        > daughers' children. He also found cemeteries, churches and for two
        days
        > showed us Slovak hospitality. And his rates are extremely
        reasonable.

        > Linda

      • Frank R. Plichta
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          I don't know which archives he is going to that are "dusty". Each archive
          that I visited in Wein, Bratislava, Kos^ice and Pres^ov were all
          immaculately clean.

          Frank

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            I think he was being facetious.

            LJH

          • Mary Anne Drobnak
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              No, he spends quite a bit of time guiding the American
              tourists. Some hire him for a week at a time. I'm very
              excited over the 300 pictures he is sending us.
              Michael, I agree, is a wonderful investment.
              Mary Anne

              ---------------------------------
              I agree that Mick is very good, very helpful and a
              worthwhile
              "investment." His ability and willingness to conduct
              field work is as
              important as his archives/records research. This
              includes knocking on
              doors, taking photos, make meeting arrangements and
              locating important
              places is important. The most important skill and
              genealogist can have is
              the ability to put it all into context of time,
              history and culture. His
              intimate knowledge of Eastern Slovakia is a very good
              resource. Is he
              doing this work full-time now?

              Bill Tarkulich

              > I heartily concur. With a limited budget, Michael
              found my grandmother's
              > family in record time. When we made the trip to the
              Slovak Republic, we
              > were able to meet with my mother's cousin, her
              daughters, and her
              > daughers' children. He also found cemeteries,
              churches and for two days
              > showed us Slovak hospitality. And his rates are
              extremely reasonable.

              > Linda

              Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service.

              > --

              removed]

              send blank email to
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              To unsubscribe from this group, go to
              http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
              send blank email to

              Genealogy Family
              genealogy Family
              search internet genealogy service
              Genealogy
              family search
              Genealogy family tree
              Family tree maker genealogy site

              Terms of Service.

              ---------------------------------
            • Mary Anne Drobnak
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                Thank you for telling me this. I hope others on the
                list read your message. Mary Anne

                --- Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
[...]

                * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                Yahoo! Terms of
                Service.

              • Bratgirl54@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  I agree with everyone with regard to Michael. He diligently researched my
                  father's side of family -- located living relatives for me -- and supplied me
                  with information and story background on my father's family. He's a
                  hardworking man!
                  Monica

                  In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:40:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  choirmm@... writes:

[...]

                  _Click Here!_ (mip://062f72a8/</FONT><A%20HREF=) ">Drug Abuse Can Be
                  Prevented "One of the most effective drug prevention organizations" (NY Times)

                  .

                • D. Radmacher

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
                      If you want to unsubscribe - go to the end of any of these messages and follow the link or use this.

                      To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                      send blank email to

                      The list owner does not do this.