Re: [S-R] An excellent researcher in Slovakia

  • Linda Hartlaub
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 7:57 AM
      I heartily concur. With a limited budget, Michael found my grandmother's
      family in record time. When we made the trip to the Slovak Republic, we
      were able to meet with my mother's cousin, her daughters, and her
      daughers' children. He also found cemeteries, churches and for two days
      showed us Slovak hospitality. And his rates are extremely reasonable.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 8:34 AM
        I agree that Mick is very good, very helpful and a worthwhile
        "investment." His ability and willingness to conduct field work is as
        important as his archives/records research. This includes knocking on
        doors, taking photos, make meeting arrangements and locating important
        places is important. The most important skill and genealogist can have is
        the ability to put it all into context of time, history and culture. His
        intimate knowledge of Eastern Slovakia is a very good resource. Is he
        doing this work full-time now?

        Bill Tarkulich

        > I heartily concur. With a limited budget, Michael found my grandmother's
        > family in record time. When we made the trip to the Slovak Republic, we
        > were able to meet with my mother's cousin, her daughters, and her
        > daughers' children. He also found cemeteries, churches and for two days
        > showed us Slovak hospitality. And his rates are extremely reasonable.
        >
        > Linda

      • Linda Hartlaub
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 10:26 AM
          I believe he is. When we were there, he told me that his genealogy
          research allows him to make a decent living although he does get a little
          tired of being in dusty old archives. He would like to branch out and
          take more photos - both fine art and commercial.

          Linda

          I agree that Mick is very good, very helpful and a worthwhile
          "investment." His ability and willingness to conduct field work is
          as
          important as his archives/records research. This includes knocking
          on
          doors, taking photos, make meeting arrangements and locating
          important
          places is important. The most important skill and genealogist can
          have is
          the ability to put it all into context of time, history and culture.
          His
          intimate knowledge of Eastern Slovakia is a very good resource. Is
          he
          doing this work full-time now?

          Bill Tarkulich

          > I heartily concur. With a limited budget, Michael found my
          grandmother's
          > family in record time. When we made the trip to the Slovak
          Republic, we
          > were able to meet with my mother's cousin, her daughters, and her
          > daughers' children. He also found cemeteries, churches and for two
          days
          > showed us Slovak hospitality. And his rates are extremely
          reasonable.

          > Linda

        • Frank R. Plichta
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2 11:00 AM
            I don't know which archives he is going to that are "dusty". Each archive
            that I visited in Wein, Bratislava, Kos^ice and Pres^ov were all
            immaculately clean.

            Frank

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2 3:10 PM
              I think he was being facetious.

              LJH

            • Mary Anne Drobnak
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 5:37 PM
                No, he spends quite a bit of time guiding the American
                tourists. Some hire him for a week at a time. I'm very
                excited over the 300 pictures he is sending us.
                Michael, I agree, is a wonderful investment.
                Mary Anne

                ---------------------------------
                I agree that Mick is very good, very helpful and a
                worthwhile
                "investment." His ability and willingness to conduct
                field work is as
                important as his archives/records research. This
                includes knocking on
                doors, taking photos, make meeting arrangements and
                locating important
                places is important. The most important skill and
                genealogist can have is
                the ability to put it all into context of time,
                history and culture. His
                intimate knowledge of Eastern Slovakia is a very good
                resource. Is he
                doing this work full-time now?

                Bill Tarkulich

                > I heartily concur. With a limited budget, Michael
                found my grandmother's
                > family in record time. When we made the trip to the
                Slovak Republic, we
                > were able to meet with my mother's cousin, her
                daughters, and her
                > daughers' children. He also found cemeteries,
                churches and for two days
                > showed us Slovak hospitality. And his rates are
                extremely reasonable.

                > Linda

                Yahoo! Terms of
                > Service.

                > --

                removed]

                send blank email to
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                send blank email to

                Genealogy Family
                genealogy Family
                search internet genealogy service
                Genealogy
                family search
                Genealogy family tree
                Family tree maker genealogy site

                Terms of Service.

                ---------------------------------
              • Mary Anne Drobnak
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2 5:38 PM
                  Thank you for telling me this. I hope others on the
                  list read your message. Mary Anne

                  --- Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
[...]

                  * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                  Yahoo! Terms of
                  Service.

                • Bratgirl54@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2 5:51 PM
                    I agree with everyone with regard to Michael. He diligently researched my
                    father's side of family -- located living relatives for me -- and supplied me
                    with information and story background on my father's family. He's a
                    hardworking man!
                    Monica

                    In a message dated 8/2/2005 8:40:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    choirmm@... writes:

[...]

                    _Click Here!_ (mip://062f72a8/</FONT><A%20HREF=) ">Drug Abuse Can Be
                    Prevented "One of the most effective drug prevention organizations" (NY Times)

                    .

                  • D. Radmacher

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16 9:52 AM
                        If you want to unsubscribe - go to the end of any of these messages and follow the link or use this.

                        To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                        send blank email to

                        The list owner does not do this.