RE: [S-R] researching HARGAS and KOCHAN

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      You might try the spelling KOCAN.
      In my villages (Zboj, Nova Sedlica, Ulic) there are KOCAN. The villages are
      too far removed to be related however. There is a diacritical (accent) mark
      above the C, it looks like a small "u", and the C is pronounced CH in
      English.

      Have you tried doing a village search using Steve Morse's 1-step tool for
      Ellis Island records? http://www.stevemorse.org/ We often come up with
      quite unexpected surname spellings that way.

      From the phone book, there are many Kocan found in the city of Kosice today.

      My Kocan originally went to Scranton, PA

      Good Luck,
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        I have Koczan's in my family. They lived in Parics, Zemplin Co., Hungary.

        Doris