Re: [S-R] researching HARGAS and KOCHAN

  • MA Bensh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
      Not sure how common the name KOCHAN is, but my son's babysitter is KOCHAN. We are in northern New Jersey and I think the sitter was originally from PA somewhere.

      rabbit <jec2@...> wrote:I am researching the Hargas [Hargas~] family (John and Eva [nee Hargas]) of Morva
      Leskov/Morvaljesko. Their son immigrated circa 1905.

      I am researching the Kochan family (Martin and Susanna [nee possibly Hricz])
      of the Jolsva/Jelsava area. Their children immigrated between 1906 and 1910. Susanna immigrated in the late 1920's - presumably on death of Martin.

      Martin and Susanna's sons immigrated first to Guernsey Co, OH.

      Though I find the Kochan children passed through Ellis Island, I have not found the records of Susanna Kochan or the Hargases.

      Jim Crownover-

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        You might try the spelling KOCAN.
        In my villages (Zboj, Nova Sedlica, Ulic) there are KOCAN. The villages are
        too far removed to be related however. There is a diacritical (accent) mark
        above the C, it looks like a small "u", and the C is pronounced CH in
        English.

        Have you tried doing a village search using Steve Morse's 1-step tool for
        Ellis Island records? http://www.stevemorse.org/ We often come up with
        quite unexpected surname spellings that way.

        From the phone book, there are many Kocan found in the city of Kosice today.

        My Kocan originally went to Scranton, PA

        Good Luck,
        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Not sure how common the name KOCHAN is, but my son's babysitter is KOCHAN.
        We are in northern New Jersey and I think the sitter was originally from PA
        somewhere.

        rabbit <jec2@...> wrote:I am researching the Hargas [Hargas~] family
        (John and Eva [nee Hargas]) of Morva Leskov/Morvaljesko. Their son
        immigrated circa 1905.

        I am researching the Kochan family (Martin and Susanna [nee possibly Hricz])
        of the Jolsva/Jelsava area. Their children immigrated between 1906 and 1910.
        Susanna immigrated in the late 1920's - presumably on death of Martin.

        Martin and Susanna's sons immigrated first to Guernsey Co, OH.

        Though I find the Kochan children passed through Ellis Island, I have not
        found the records of Susanna Kochan or the Hargases.

        Jim Crownover-

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Doris
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          I have Koczan's in my family. They lived in Parics, Zemplin Co., Hungary.

          Doris