Slovak Language with the PC

  • jt33kelly
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 3:39 PM
      I used the instructions on Tarkulich's web site for setting my
      keyboard to use the Slavik language. The instructions were just
      great. They were easy to understand and follow. Thanks so much,
      Bill. As I used the system, however, to puts some translated
      information into a card I ran into a few problems. Any thoughts
      regarding these would be helpful.
      (1) When I copied Slovak information (from a pdf file) into WORD
      certain letters did not copy. A space was left where they should be
      and I had to add them manually. These were some (not all) of the
      letters with diacritical marks.
      (2) I absolutely could not find some of the Slovak letters on the
      keyboard. They were something like the following (the "--" is used as
      a separator): d' -- D (capital) with a little "u" above -- T
      (capital) with a little "u" above -- S (capital) with a little "u"
      above.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29 4:42 PM
        Those missing accented letters DO appear on my computer. INSERT,
        SYMBOLS, normal text, and there they are!
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29 6:29 PM
          This may address part of your problem, or your problem may lie
          elsewhere. All fonts are NOT created equal. SOme simply do not have
          the Slovak or East European characters that are called out by the keys
          you punch.

          On the other hand, I also started out using the software changes to
          switch langages, and I got most of the characters but not all. That
          seems to be be fixed since I brought back a Slovak keyboard from
          Slovakia. My original was a PS/2 keyboard that does not work with my
          new computer and USB connection (it takes both a mechanical adapter
          and evedently a signal votage change to switch to USB). So on this
          last trip I bought a Slovak USB board. This is what I get when I make
          the switch from EN to SK on numbers 1-9 and on to \:
          ;+¾šèžýáíé=´ò I had to do that to see how thez come out on the
          internet. Plus there is úäô§,.-

          I did notice the Word spell checker does not handle "don´t" as
          it does the normal English "don't"
          I would check the font zou are calling up, zou maz have to change to
          a "central european font".

          Ron