New to this list

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26 11:23 AM
      Hello,
      My name is Carl Kotlarchik and I am new to the Slovak-roots list. I
      am researching the family names of Kotlarcsik (Kotlarcik),
      Muranszky, Gyuro and Vaponic. These families lived in the
      neighboring towns of Jolsva (Jelsava), Czetnek (Stitnik) and
      Miglesz, which are all located in Gomor County (in present-day
      central Slovakia). My grandfather, Andras Kotlarcsik came to
      America in 1902 with his wife Suzanna (Muranszky). I am interested
      in learning about these families and the towns where they lived.

      I am also researching the other side of my family whose name was
      Kepics. Family names on this side include Kepics, Legencza, Lojan
      and Terpak. These families were from Szinna (Snina), which is
      located in present-day eastern Slovakia. Matyas (Matthew) and
      Karolina Kepics came to American in 1901.

      I am fortunate to have birth, marriage and military records for both
      sides of my family from what was then Hungary. I have just begun to
      search the LDS records for Hungary but this appears to be quite a
      challenge!

      I would very much appreciate any information on the above listed
      surnames and towns.
      I also apologize if you received this note twice but I got an error
      message the first time I tried to send it.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26 7:45 PM
        Make sure you visit Bill T's site to get a solid grounding into Slovak
        genealogy. http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27 5:53 AM
          Thank you John for your reference.

          I've made the site a bit easier to get to now. You only need put
          http://iabsi.com
          into your web browswer and it will get there.

          There is so much stuff jammed into the cracks of the site that even with a
          Table of Contents,menus, and "What's News" section, it's often hard to
          find exactly what you want. To combat this overload, I added a "Google"
          search to the first page and the Table of Content page. It will search
          all my pages and present to you results the same way the regular Google
          search does for the entire internet.

          Bill Tarkulich