Re: [S-R] Vagujfalu

  • laco R
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005
      Vagujfalu is now Nova Ves nad Vahom

      In the period of 1976 - 1990 it was a part of Koc~ovce.

      From 1927 to 1976 its name was Povaz~ska Nova Ves

      from 1920 tha name was Vah Novejsa

      Map http://tinyurl.com/8drwz

      Laco

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2005
        Hi Frank,

        Thanks for the information and translation.

        Almost all the related Gaba's I've found on Ellis Island came from
        Vagujfalu (Spelled at least 15 different ways!) except My Grandfather whose
        Ellis Island Record, Family Record and Citizen Application state origin as
        Nove Mesto (He arrived in 1904). When studying the maps I realized that
        Kocsocz and Vagujfalu were a stones-throw apart (Vagujfalu was South of
        Kocsocz) and Nove Mesto is further away from Kocsocz (Kocovce) - about 4 km
        Northeast of it. I think perhaps my GF may have used the larger
        town/village of Nove Mesto (Easier to say and spell!! Ha!Ha!)

        As Janet mentioned, in checking Radix for "Nová Ves nad Váhom", they show
        it being the same as Kocovce. And Laco gave me a nice running history of
        the transition of Vagujfalu to today's name.

        My Grandmother's family (Hanacsek) came from Kocsocz and both families
        apparently knew each other. Although my Grandmother and Grandfather came
        here separately two years apart (1904 & 1906) and married in 1908, a couple
        of Gaba's and Hanacsek's travelled here together.

        Everyone's info was very helpful ! Thanks Frank, Janet and Laco for your
        replies!!

        Gary

        Frank Kurchina
        <frankur@...>
        07/26/2005 11:12 gary.gaba@...
        AM cc

        Subject
        Re: [S-R] vagujfalu

        Gary

        In Magyar -falu/falva means "village" and új means "new".

        Vagujfalu was also called Vágúfalu

        It is now called Nová Ves nad Váhom (Koc^ovce).

        Don't confuse it with Nové Mesto nad Váhom.

        Frank Kurcina

        The information in this message may be proprietary and/or confidential,
        and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not
        the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
        delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
        communication in error, please notify First Data immediately by
        replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
      • Dennis Lee Bubla
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2005
          Janet et al, Your town Vagujfalu, matched to the town which was on
          the Ellis Island docs from where my gm was from, which Laco confirmed
          below. This area was was part of and near the old town Opatova (near
          Trencin) in Trencin County, the way I understand it from my gm's
          family, in Slovakia whom I now communicate with.

        • travel2001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
            what is satx.rr.com?

            Janet et al, Your town Vagujfalu, matched to the town which was on
            the Ellis Island docs from where my gm was from, which Laco confirmed
            below. This area was was part of and near the old town Opatova (near
            Trencin) in Trencin County, the way I understand it from my gm's
            family, in Slovakia whom I now communicate with.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "laco R" <diskusie@j...> wrote:
            > Vagujfalu is now Nova Ves nad Vahom
            >
            > In the period of 1976 - 1990 it was a part of Koc~ovce.
            >
            > From 1927 to 1976 its name was Povaz~ska Nova Ves
            >
            > from 1920 tha name was Vah Novejsa
            >
            > Map http://tinyurl.com/8drwz
            >

            > Laco

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Don Havlicek
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
              San Antonio Tx [dot]Road Runner [dot] com