Re: [S-R] Digest Number 1838 - RE: Slovakia Map Printing

  • gary.gaba@firstdata.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2005
      To print Map on Website: http://tinyurl.com/8s9vg

      If you click on the left-most icon at the top of the map box (labeled
      VYTLACIT), it will bring you to another Window where the map has been
      enlarged to accommodate a full print page. While in this Window click on
      File (Upper left corner of Internet Explorer or Netscape screen) and click
      Print on the drop-down window. Also, while in this Window, you can
      right-click any where on the map image and a menu will appear whereas you
      can "Print Picture...." or "Save Picture as....." to store the Map as a
      picture file on your computer.

      Hope this helps!

      If anyone has any information on the following, I have relatives that
      immigrated in the period of 1900 - 1910 from Vagujfalu ( Family Surname
      Gaba) and Kocsocz (Family Surname Hanacsek). After deciphering numerous
      variations of the spelling of these villages on EI, I was able to find them
      on Radix and then the 1913 Map of Hungary. I believe Kocsocz is now
      Kocovce on current maps but I can find no trace of Vagujfalu. Any
      information or history on these villages would be deeply appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Gary

      SLOVAK-ROOTS@yaho
      ogroups.com
      07/25/2005 09:10 SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      AM cc

      Subject
      Please respond to [S-R] Digest Number 1838
      SLOVAK-ROOTS@yaho
      ogroups.com

      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Digest Number 1832
      From: "lds11784" <lds11784@...>
      2. RE: Slovakia Map
      From: "srkrizan" <srkrizan@...>
      3. RE: Slovakia Map
      From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>
      4. RE: Slovakia Map
      From: "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
      <JArmata@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:22:16 -0000
      From: "lds11784" <lds11784@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 1832

      Bill,

      You wrote, "Slovaks and Rusyns took care to convert the lettering to
      recreate the sound of the surmane in the destination language." My
      Slovak family's name was Kosc in the "old country" and became Kost
      here in America. Does this follow the rule? How would Kosc be
      pronounced in Slovak?

      Louise

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of Dans57@w...
      > Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:59 PM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Digest Number 1832
      >

      > On the surname changing items, I too have found that it was
      common in
      > tracing my family tree to see that the last name appearing on the
      1869
      > census and church records from "Abara, Zemplen" or Oborin as it is
      today,
      > were changed when the family came to the U.S. My own great
      grandparents
      > changed the Almasi spelling to Almashy after settling in Ohio and
      I suppose
      > because of the "SH" sound of the 'S' in Magyar, one relative still
      uses a
      > double 'L" as it is pronounced as Allmashy, but the brother and
      nephew who
      > settled in McKeesport, Pa. changed their spelling to Almasy which
      is a
      > spelling I had found in the noble family of Hungary. I saw on a
      ships
      > manifest that same person had his name spelled as Almassi when he
      made a
      > trip back home in 1927. His granddaughter who still lives in
      Oborin, Sk
      > spells her surname as Almassy. All of these changes either by
      political
      > reasons or Americanization, I suppose. I wish I would have learned
      more when
      > the grandparents were alive!
      >
      > Dan Almashy
      > Danville , Va.
      > DLAlmashy@w...
      > Vachevyman@h...
      >
      > http://community.webtv.net/Dans57/Dans57andOther
      >
      > http://community.webtv.net/Dans57/OborinSlovakia

      email to
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 02:48:30 -0500
      From: "srkrizan" <srkrizan@...>
      Subject: RE: Slovakia Map

      Bill,
      I have no problem getting to the web page of Slovakia. I can't do a print
      page with the map or print any part of the map when enlarged. What am I
      doing wrong?
      Simon Richard Krizan SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812 fax:
      1.419.791.0918
      Grandfather Vendelin KRIZAN & HOLEKSY or HOLEKSZY, near Dolne Oresany,
      Trnava County, Slovak Republic Grandmother Ruzena (Rosina) CECH
      or Csech & TRNOVICS, near Losonec, Trnava County, Slovak Republic

      Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:47:30 -0400
      From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

      Simon,

      Admittedly, I am not technical support and I am not privy to all the
      intricacies of your particular computer.

      Having said that, the mapy.atlas.sk site is not setup for printing. If you
      are in this for the long haul, you are much better served by obtaining a
      $20
      copy of the VKU Podrobny Auto Atlas. See
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/maps.htm for sources.

      Regards,

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:57:11 -0400
      From: "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)" <JArmata@...>

      The site doesn't seem to allow for printing. But there's a way around
      that, as for any other site that won't print. You can copy the screen
      into your computer's memory, then paste it into an imaging program,
      then print it from there.

      For Windows computers (don't know how a Mac would work), scroll around
      the map so what you want to print is all visible on the screen nicely,
      then press the Print Screen button on your keyboard. In old versions
      of Windows, that used to print whatever is on the screen, but nowadays
      it just makes a copy of the screen in your computer's memory.

      Then open an imaging program (Windows comes with Paint which is
      probably under Start/Programs/Accessories/Paint, or any other imaging
      program you may have like Irfanview or Photoshop etc.). Then you
      should be able to click on Edit/Paste, and the picture you just took
      of the screen will appear there. Then you can File/Print it, or even
      save it to your computer. (Note that the second row of buttons on the
      top of the screen are merely part of the picture you took, so they're
      not clickable!)

      Joe

      The address is too long for the email system. It breaks it apart.
      Use
      www.tinyurl.com to abbreviate it. Here is a good link:
      http://tinyurl.com/8s9vg

      It is shown on a navigable map of Slovakia. Zoom in and out. The
      orange-ish map on the right locates it as a small rectangle within
      the
      overall country.

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      The information in this message may be proprietary and/or confidential,
      and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not
      the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
      delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
      communication in error, please notify First Data immediately by
      replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25, 2005
        Gary, Vagujfalu is on the 1913 map just south of Kocsocz, so close it looks
        like it's within walking distance. Radix says that it is now considered the
        same as Kocovce.

        Janet