Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Hung. census

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2000
      The listing for the 1828 Hungarian Census is long and difficult to
      navigate on the website. I also found out the hard way that all
      locations are not listed in their counties, so you have to go WAY to the
      end to view the ones out of order. Mine was under the Latin name, which
      further confused things.

      While it's interesting, I found this not as helpful as I had hoped, tho
      I did find out one of my gr/gr/gr/grandfathers had apple and plum
      orchards. Only those who owned and farmed land are listed, my other
      paternal ancestors are not listed as they were either teachers, doctors
      or priests. Only landholder is listed, and no real information on who
      else was there.

      In short, I found it helpful in getting a "feel" for the area at the
      time, but not helpful in terms of information or research -- of course
      that is my experience. Others might get more out of it if they had a lot
      of ancestors who owned land.