Re: Hung. census

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@p...> wrote:
      > I'm getting so confused trying to figure out the Hungarian censuses
      on the
      > website for familysearch.org. I'm trying to find out if there are
      any
      > census records microfilmed for my towns in Trencin county (Makov
      and Vysoka
      > up in the NW edge of Slovakia, and Lietava a little farther SE);
      I've found
      > the film numbers I need for the 1828 census (films 623158 and
      623161).

      > I can't figure out if any of the other Hungarian censuses covered
      this area
      > (or are microfilmed); no Trencin county listed for the other years.
      Does
      > anyone know, was this area not covered in other censuses, or
      covered but
      > not yet microfilmed, or was the county name different, or am I just
      not
      > navigating the website well?
      >
      > Julie Michutka, lost in Massachusetts
      > jmm@...

      The 1828 Hungarian census was a land and property census. It is
      written in Latin and lists only the names of property owners, not
      landless peasants. On 319 reels of microfilm.
      The FHL has returns from all counties that later became Slovakia and
      Sub-Carpathian Ruthenia.

      You have to order the films of the 1828 census based upon the county
      where located. On 319 reel of microfilm, only part of which are for
      Slovakia.
      There are about 214 pages for locations and film numbers.
      You can find them in the FHL catalog under Hungary-Census at the FHC
      or http://www.familysearch.org online catalog.

      There is a 1848 enumeration of Jews for the town of Trenscen (now
      Trenc^ín)
      Also includes the villages located in Trenscen Megye.
      Valuable genealogical source if ancestors happened to be Jewish.

      The last Hungarian census available in the FHLC's collection is that
      of
      1869. Covers only former Zemplén Megye and part of Esztergom Megye.
      On 169 reels of microfilm.
      There may be other counties available somewhere from the 1869 census,
      but
      the LDS didn't microfilm them.

      There may be other counties available somewhere
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2000
        This was very helpful--thank you! Looks like the film numbers I managed to
        get off the website are all that is currently available.

        And if my ancestors aren't listed, then I've still learned something--that
        they were most likely among the landless peasants. But I've always
        maintained that I come from a long line of peasants!

        Julie Michutka