Who Are the Rusyns, Thomas Peters answers the question.

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005
      For those wanting to know what a Rusyn is go to this article.
      Michael Mojher
      Shortcut to: http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/peters.htm

      .

    • Dr. Joe Q.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005

        This is the link to sign up for the Rusyn site, they have several great
        members who can help you with genealogy. However, be careful when
        asking about the "ethnic - nationalistic - geographical - origin"
        background regarding Rusyn, Ruthenia, Lemko, Ukrainian, etc. groups.
        Also avoid asking about Greek Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Ukrainian
        Catholic, Russian Orthodox. These subjects will elicit endless banter
        and opinions from a few members.

        The "s" in Rusyn is a standard "S" as in "sin", Rusyn is pronounced
        "ru" as in rule and "sin", there is no "sh" sound.

        Best of luck with the rusyns@yahoo

        Dr. "Q"

        Michael Mojher wrote:

        >For those wanting to know what a Rusyn is go to this article.
        >Michael Mojher
        >Shortcut to: http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/peters.htm

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005
          Listen to Dr. Q. He is telling you the truth!

          I just got a copy of Our Slavic Fellow Citizens from a dealer back East.
          The book was written in 1910, after extensive research and field work, by
          Emily Balch. On the subject of Ruthenians, she says that they "have a most
          confusing variety of names, and the situation is complicated by the fact
          that the choice of one or another name often implies political
          preferences."

          > This is the link to sign up for the Rusyn site, they have several great
          > members who can help you with genealogy. However, be careful when
          > asking about the "ethnic - nationalistic - geographical - origin"
          > background regarding Rusyn, Ruthenia, Lemko, Ukrainian, etc. groups.
          > Also avoid asking about Greek Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Ukrainian
          > Catholic, Russian Orthodox. These subjects will elicit endless banter
          > and opinions from a few members.
          >
          > The "s" in Rusyn is a standard "S" as in "sin", Rusyn is pronounced
          > "ru" as in rule and "sin", there is no "sh" sound.
          >
          > Best of luck with the rusyns@yahoo
          >
          > Dr. "Q"
          >
          > Michael Mojher wrote:
          >
          >>For those wanting to know what a Rusyn is go to this article.
          >>Michael Mojher
          >>Shortcut to: http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/peters.htm

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2005
            For those who want to read parts of
            we have part of the book on line at
            http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            > This is the link to sign up for the Rusyn site, they have several great
            > members who can help you with genealogy. However, be careful when
            > asking about the "ethnic - nationalistic - geographical - origin"
            > background regarding Rusyn, Ruthenia, Lemko, Ukrainian, etc. groups.
            > Also avoid asking about Greek Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Ukrainian
            > Catholic, Russian Orthodox. These subjects will elicit endless banter
            > and opinions from a few members.
            >
            > The "s" in Rusyn is a standard "S" as in "sin", Rusyn is pronounced
            > "ru" as in rule and "sin", there is no "sh" sound.
            >
            > Best of luck with the rusyns@yahoo
            >
            > Dr. "Q"
            >
            > Michael Mojher wrote:
            >
            >>For those wanting to know what a Rusyn is go to this article.
            >>Michael Mojher
            >>Shortcut to: http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/peters.htm

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Rick Steps
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2005
              WOW, Yes I listened to Dr. Q...but I found the place is political
              beyond my imagining. Do not ever use the word Uniate. And don't
              join if you are offended easily. Please be open to two sides to
              EVERY story! That said...I am enjoying it so far....a great
              learning experience. Eric

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>
              wrote:
              > Listen to Dr. Q. He is telling you the truth!
              >
              > I just got a copy of Our Slavic Fellow Citizens from a dealer back
              East.
              > The book was written in 1910, after extensive research and field
              work, by
              > Emily Balch. On the subject of Ruthenians, she says that
              they "have a most
              > confusing variety of names, and the situation is complicated by
              the fact
              > that the choice of one or another name often implies political
              > preferences."

              7/14/2005

            • Dr. Joe Q.
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2005
                Yes, it is a "noisy" site, but you will note that most of the noise
                comes from about 10 members.

                Dr. "Q"