Translation please?!

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
      Would these perhaps be obituaries? The family name I am researching is
      Zahai, but problems persist locating it. However, I stumbled upon
      Szahai. Can someone put me in the right direction?! Thank you so
      much. Mary Jayne

      Magdaléna Vidovièová, 87 r., Eva Koèiová, rod. Tomášová, 44 r.,
      Ján Szahai, 78 r., Ján Bencsik, 83 r.

      Vidoviè Magdolna, 87 éves, Koèi Éva, szül. Tomáš, 44 éves,
      Szahai János, 78 éves, Bencsik János, 83 éves
    • John Venham
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
        The first set is Slovak, the second is the same
        information in Hungarian.

        Magdalena Vidovicova, 87 yrs. old, Eva Kociova, born
        Tomasova, 44 yrs old, Jan Szahai 78 yrs old, Jan
        Bencik

        My computer will note put the marks on the c and s.
        Vidovicova is just the feminine form of
        Vidovic.....Hungarian does not make the distinction.
        The same for Kocsi.

        The cs combination in Hungarian is the c-hook in
        Slovak for the 'ch' sound.

        Yes, Zahai = Szahai seems a reasonable assumption.
        BTW, Vidovic strikes me as a Slovak-derived name,
        whereas Szahai and Kosci are probably Hungarian
        derivatives.

        Good Luck,

        John V

        > Magdaléna Vidovièová, 87 r., Eva Koèiová, rod.
        > Tomás<caron>ová, 44 r.,
        > Ján Szahai, 78 r., Ján Bencsik, 83 r.
        >

        > Vidoviè Magdolna, 87 éves, Koèi Éva, szül.
        Tomás<caron>, 44
        > éves,
        > Szahai János, 78 éves, Bencsik János, 83 éves

        "The Journey is the Reward"

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Dennis Lee Bubla
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
          Rod. means maiden name, or at least rod. is the abreviation for maiden
          name.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <pewterj@a...> wrote:
          > Would these perhaps be obituaries? The family name I am researching
          is
          > Zahai, but problems persist locating it. However, I stumbled upon
          > Szahai. Can someone put me in the right direction?! Thank you so
          > much. Mary Jayne
          >
          > Magdaléna Vidovièová, 87 r., Eva Koèiová, rod. Tomášová, 44 r.,
          > Ján Szahai, 78 r., Ján Bencsik, 83 r.
          >

          > Vidoviè Magdolna, 87 éves, Koèi Éva, szül. Tomáš, 44 éves,
          > Szahai János, 78 éves, Bencsik János, 83 éves
        • Kathryn L. Turk
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
            John V. is right on target/on the mark with ALL of these! I began writing the following & only later saw his post...

            Kat Turk [rod. Turková, but married name = Bizubová] :-)
            _______
            These entries are in both Slovak & Hungarian:
            * Magdaléna Vidovic~ová [in Slovak, or Magdolna Vidovic~ in Hungarian], age 87 [literally: 87 years (old)]
            * Eva Kos~iová [in Slovak, or Eva Kos~i in Hungarian], maiden [literally: family] name Tomás~ová, age 44
            * Ján [in Slovak, or János in Hungarian] Szahai, age 78
            * Ján Benc~ik [in Slovak, or János Bencsik in Hungarian], age 83

            Language points:
            * "Szahai" in Hungarian is pronounced as "Zahai" in English.
            * s in Hungarian = s~ in Slovak = sh (as in "shake") in English.
            * cs = c~ in Slovak = ch (as in "church") in English.
            * -ová is the Slovak ending added to denote a wife or daughter, but this isn't used in Hungarian or English.

          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14, 2005
              Kat,
              Bizub is a rather common surname where i grew up in Passaic, New Jersey.
              Noreen

            • Kathryn L. Turk
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 17, 2005
                Hi, Noreen,

                Thanks for this info! The year we married, Ondrej's grandmother told us of
                one or two Bizub relatives who came to America (New Jersey, specifically).
                I think she said one returned to Slovakia & then returned again to America.

                So, while I was aware of this, I'm wondering if you or anyone else might
                have ideas on how I might locate any of his Bizub relatives/ancestors, at
                least in New Jersey & & who might have also possibly gone to other states?

                Kat
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
                  Hello Kat,

                  I recognize the Bizub name only because I have found it listed in many
                  obits for the Passaic area. There is a funeral home called
                  "Bizub-Quinlan Funeral Home" in Clifton, NJ. They seem to handle a
                  lot of funerals for members of Ss. Peter & Paul Russian Orthodox
                  Cathedral church in Passaic. Noreen has already confirmed the surname
                  in Passaic I guess. I don't know if this helps, but here's their
                  website with Bizub contacts:

                  http://bizub.com/default.php?page=welcome

                  Good luck,

                  Scott Miskiv

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn L. Turk" <sunkat@n...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi, Noreen,
                  >
                  > Thanks for this info! The year we married, Ondrej's grandmother
                  told us of
                  > one or two Bizub relatives who came to America (New Jersey,
                  specifically).
                  > I think she said one returned to Slovakia & then returned again to
                  America.

                  > So, while I was aware of this, I'm wondering if you or anyone else
                  might
                  > have ideas on how I might locate any of his Bizub
                  relatives/ancestors, at
                  > least in New Jersey & & who might have also possibly gone to other
                  states?

                  > Kat

                • Bittman, Bill
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
                    Try ragk.rootsweb.com/new jersey

                    Bill Bittman
                    Lead Test Technician
                    Ball Aerospace & Tech Corp.
                    Boulder, CO 80306
                    (303)939-5188 Office
                    (303)939-6263 Fax
                    (303)581-8076 Pager

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
                      Kat,
                      In the Passaic-Clifton area, Poles are mostly buried from the Shook Funeral
                      Home on Van Houten Ave and the Slovaks are buried from Bizub Funeral Homes.
                      Bizub funeral Home started out on Monroe Street in Passaic across from St.
                      Mary's Slovak Church. then it moved to Lexington Avenue in Clifton. recently it
                      bought out Quinlin Funeral Homes and became what is today Bizub-Quinlin. My
                      mother was buried from Quinlin in 1963.
                      Back in those days, when the families had get togethers, they could borrow or
                      rent folding chairs from most of the local funeral homes.
                      Noreen