Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Village meaning "grain"

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2000
      In a message dated 3/12/0 11:07:10 PM, luganin@... writes:

      << a village in the Kosice area
      that means "grain?" >>

      Just a guess - Kobyly - it's in Saris and at one time a part of Kosice was in
      Saris. I went way out of my way one time to take a prayer book there from
      an elderly lady to her relatives so the name is "ingrained" on my brain.
      Sorry for the pun.

      helene
    • ylbrd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2000
        In a message dated 03/12/2000 5:07:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        luganin@... writes:

        > From: luganin@...
        >
        > Any ideas as to where I might look to find a village in the Kosice area
        > that means "grain?" It will be a big help to a friend in starting his
        > research.
        > Jan P in CT

        Anglicky(english) Slovensky (Slovak)
        grain náklonnost
        grain letá (v dreve)
        grain zrno
        grain vlákno
        grain chlp
        grain jadro
        grain obilie
        grain povaha
        grained zilkovaný
        grained zilkovaná
        grained zilkované
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2000
          I know this topic has come up on the list before, and now I need to know:
          a young (early 20s) Slovak relative has asked me about summer jobs in the
          US. I thought I saw a post in just the last couple weeks, in which someone
          mentioned a URL about this (green cards?), but I've gone through those
          posts this weekend and can't find it now; also, didn't someone several
          months ago mention an organization to avoid--some group that promises to
          find jobs or something, but isn't quite legal...my memory is pretty vague
          on this one.

          Any suggestions or advice appreciated; personally, I can't imagine how
          she'd come out very far ahead with just a summer job, once she subtracts
          airfare and living expenses...and I'm trying to figure out if she's hinting
          to stay with my family (and I don't have a guest room, and whole bunch of
          etceteras!). But I want to give her all the information she needs.

          Oh, and before I forget...official announcement: I'm going to
          Slovakia!!!!! My oldest daughter and I are joining one of Helene's summer
          tours, and there are no words in any of the languages I've studied, and
          probably not in Slovak either, that describe how excited we are! My
          husband asked me what I wanted for a Valentine's Day present, and I told
          him I wanted to go to Slovakia....18 years of marriage to me, and he still
          hasn't learned to be careful what he asks.... And then the night after I
          sent off my deposit for the trip, I dreamed I was adopted, and all this
          genealogy and history I've been doing had nothing to do with me, after
          all...talk about a nightmare! My kid sister tried to allay my fears,
          pointing out that I have our mother's total lack of subtlety so I must be
          my parents' true child...gee, that was comforting....

          Thanks in advance for any advice on the job question (I guess it's also a
          visa question?)!

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
            I'm sorry--I sent the post on summer jobs to the wrong list--I meant it to
            go to Slovak World and I hit the wrong address in my address book!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...