Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Village meaning "grain"

  • Fred Corbett
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12 4:59 PM
      Per a dictionary that I cited earlier, the following words mean "Grain".

      grain chlp
      grain jadro
      grain letá (v dreve)
      grain náklonnos?
      grain obilie

      Hope this helps

      fred

    • helenezx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12 6:55 PM
        In a message dated 3/12/0 11:07:10 PM, luganin@... writes:

        << a village in the Kosice area
        that means "grain?" >>

        Just a guess - Kobyly - it's in Saris and at one time a part of Kosice was in
        Saris. I went way out of my way one time to take a prayer book there from
        an elderly lady to her relatives so the name is "ingrained" on my brain.
        Sorry for the pun.

        helene
      • ylbrd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12 7:58 PM
          In a message dated 03/12/2000 5:07:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          luganin@... writes:

          > From: luganin@...
          >
          > Any ideas as to where I might look to find a village in the Kosice area
          > that means "grain?" It will be a big help to a friend in starting his
          > research.
          > Jan P in CT

          Anglicky(english) Slovensky (Slovak)
          grain náklonnost
          grain letá (v dreve)
          grain zrno
          grain vlákno
          grain chlp
          grain jadro
          grain obilie
          grain povaha
          grained zilkovaný
          grained zilkovaná
          grained zilkované
        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20 5:50 PM
            I know this topic has come up on the list before, and now I need to know:
            a young (early 20s) Slovak relative has asked me about summer jobs in the
            US. I thought I saw a post in just the last couple weeks, in which someone
            mentioned a URL about this (green cards?), but I've gone through those
            posts this weekend and can't find it now; also, didn't someone several
            months ago mention an organization to avoid--some group that promises to
            find jobs or something, but isn't quite legal...my memory is pretty vague
            on this one.

            Any suggestions or advice appreciated; personally, I can't imagine how
            she'd come out very far ahead with just a summer job, once she subtracts
            airfare and living expenses...and I'm trying to figure out if she's hinting
            to stay with my family (and I don't have a guest room, and whole bunch of
            etceteras!). But I want to give her all the information she needs.

            Oh, and before I forget...official announcement: I'm going to
            Slovakia!!!!! My oldest daughter and I are joining one of Helene's summer
            tours, and there are no words in any of the languages I've studied, and
            probably not in Slovak either, that describe how excited we are! My
            husband asked me what I wanted for a Valentine's Day present, and I told
            him I wanted to go to Slovakia....18 years of marriage to me, and he still
            hasn't learned to be careful what he asks.... And then the night after I
            sent off my deposit for the trip, I dreamed I was adopted, and all this
            genealogy and history I've been doing had nothing to do with me, after
            all...talk about a nightmare! My kid sister tried to allay my fears,
            pointing out that I have our mother's total lack of subtlety so I must be
            my parents' true child...gee, that was comforting....

            Thanks in advance for any advice on the job question (I guess it's also a
            visa question?)!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
          • J. Michutka
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21 5:54 AM
              I'm sorry--I sent the post on summer jobs to the wrong list--I meant it to
              go to Slovak World and I hit the wrong address in my address book!

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...