RE: [S-R] information on 1715 Hungarian census

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2005
      The Arcanum databases have an enormous amount of material on the Hodor
      family, virtually all of which link them to present-day Romania and a few
      which go back even earlier than the 1500s. Nagy Iván has a family tree as
      well as the family's interesting coat of arms. I own the nobility DVD from
      Arcanum and could extract that entry for you, but it would be impossible to
      ferret out all the references to the family. I did not find them linked to
      the villages you mention, but you need to be aware that people moved around
      much more than we tend to think they did, especially the nobility.

      The www.Arcanum.hu site used to provide some of this information online for
      free, but they removed it in an obvious effort to get people to buy their
      expensive CDs and DVDs. Now they have put it, and more, back online for a
      brief period (until the end of August). You must register with them first to
      obtain access, but registration is free (www.online.arcanum.hu). It looks
      like after August they will offer the databases on a subscription basis.

      They are still testing the site and it is not fully functional yet. Last
      night I was unable to bring anything up. Today I could do a successful
      search, but the links aren't working.

      As for the 1715 census, you can access this at www.arcanum.hu/mol. I found
      four entries for Hodors--in Kis Almas, Homorod, Leordina, and Pestere.

      Janet
    • Dennis Lee Bubla
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 12, 2005
        Dear Group: OK, I went to the http://www.arcanum.hu/mol site,
        chose "Az 1715. évi országos összeírásand" and in the Keresés: block,
        typed in Bubla as a surname, then pressed the Válasszon ûrlapot!
        Well, OK. Then it came up with

        Az 1715. évi országos összeírás/Nyitra • 19. TÉKA/Járás:
        Bodokő/Nemecsics
        2 Minisztertanácsi jegyzőkönyvek, 1867-1944./1920./1920.10.13.
        3 Minisztertanácsi jegyzőkönyvek, 1867-1944./1922./1922.08.18.

        So I clicked on Az 1715. évi országos összeírás/Nyitra • 19.
        TÉKA/Járás: Bodokő/Nemecsics

        and it came up with

        Nemecsics, Nemcsicz, Nyitranémeti, Nyitra, Nemčice, SK,
        Nagytapolcsány része

        Adózók neve: Joannes Kleman; Stephanus Hosan; Michael Uher; Kmetyova;
        Paulus Cserni; Petrus Fabo; Georgius Huba; Adamus Fabo; Laurentius
        Fabo; Joannes Skoda; Michael Huban; Adamus Kleman; Joannes Mokos;
        Martinus Igaz; Georgius Kmety; Mathias Skoda; Martinus Fabo; Joannes
        Sulo; Adamus Opatoszki; Joannes Bubla; Szmatanova; Georgius Hrusko

        Oldalszám: 359a, 360a, 551

        The 359a, 360a, 551 each had links, so I clicked on each one, and
        received images of what looked like handwritten entries in a book,
        which had a name "Johanees Bubla" except it was Jos. Bubla

        OK, so what does that tell me, except that in the ancient city of
        Nyitra, which is now Nitre County Slovakia, there was a man named
        Johanes Bubla. the rest is in Hungarian, so I am unable to read

        Any suggestions?

        Clicking on the next link entitled, "Minisztertanácsi jegyzőkönyvek,
        1867-1944./1920./1920.10.13." it came up with "1920.10.13.-5.
        Bubla Ferenc kúriai tanácselnök szolgálatban tartása 70. életév után
        (IM"

        Clicking on the next link, entitled "Minisztertanácsi jegyzőkönyvek,
        1867-1944./1922./1922.08.18." it came up with "1922.08.18.-32.
        Bubla István Szolnok városi tanácsnok állásából való eltávolítása.
        (BM)"

        Clicking on either the Előző találat. or Köv. találat. or Keresés
        törlése shows the following:

        1920.10.13.-5.
        Bubla Ferenc kúriai tanácselnök szolgálatban tartása 70. életév után
        (IM)

        1922.08.18.-32.
        Bubla István Szolnok városi tanácsnok állásából való eltávolítása.
        (BM)

        How does one know what he/she is looking at, and am I on the right
        track for searching on this site?

        dennis

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
        wrote:
        > The Arcanum databases have an enormous amount of material on the
        Hodor
        > family, virtually all of which link them to present-day Romania and
        a few
        > which go back even earlier than the 1500s. Nagy Iván has a family
        tree as
        > well as the family's interesting coat of arms. I own the nobility
        DVD from
        > Arcanum and could extract that entry for you, but it would be
        impossible to
        > ferret out all the references to the family. I did not find them
        linked to
        > the villages you mention, but you need to be aware that people
        moved around
        > much more than we tend to think they did, especially the nobility.
        >
        > The www.Arcanum.hu site used to provide some of this information
        online for
        > free, but they removed it in an obvious effort to get people to buy
        their
        > expensive CDs and DVDs. Now they have put it, and more, back online
        for a
        > brief period (until the end of August). You must register with them
        first to
        > obtain access, but registration is free (www.online.arcanum.hu). It
        looks
        > like after August they will offer the databases on a subscription
        basis.

        > They are still testing the site and it is not fully functional yet.
        Last
        > night I was unable to bring anything up. Today I could do a
        successful
        > search, but the links aren't working.
        >
        > As for the 1715 census, you can access this at www.arcanum.hu/mol.
        I found
        > four entries for Hodors--in Kis Almas, Homorod, Leordina, and
        Pestere.

        > Janet
      • dlielc
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 12, 2005
          I think it's hard to know what you're looking. I'm having an
          Hugarian friend translate some of it. However, I just find it
          fascinating to see it. The Hodors have 12 entries in the record--
          most seem to be connected to the Hungarian area that now is modern
          day Romania, I think. Maybe the Bublas got around?

          -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Lee Bubla" <dbubla@s...>

        • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 12, 2005
            Be careful. Many families that share the same surname who live in different
            villages are entirely unrelated.

          • James McGrath
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 12, 2005
              The image files are pages from the 1715 census. I
              would suggest that you learn some Hungarian if you
              intend investigating your roots in this part of the
              world - otherwise, you will end up with many search
              results but without the ability to interpret them and
              ascertain their relevance.

              James

              --- Dennis Lee Bubla <dbubla@...> wrote:

              > Dear Group: OK, I went to the
              > http://www.arcanum.hu/mol site,
              > chose "Az 1715. évi országos összeírásand" and in
              > the Keresés: block,
              > typed in Bubla as a surname, then pressed the
              > Válasszon ûrlapot!
              > Well, OK. Then it came up with
              <snip>>
              > How does one know what he/she is looking at, and am
              > I on the right
              > track for searching on this site?
              >
              > dennis

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Mail
            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2005
                You wrote:

                OK, so what does that tell me, except that in the ancient city of Nyitra,
                which is now Nitre County Slovakia, there was a man named Johanes Bubla. the
                rest is in Hungarian, so I am unable to read. . . .

                It does give you the old village name of Nyitranemeti (now Nemcice, just
                outside Topolcany SK), in Nyitratapolcsany district in Nyitra megye
                (county). This might be useful information for a researcher.

                However, you must work backwards. Anything else is pure speculation. Until
                church records become available through LDS, your only hope is to hire a
                researcher who can begin with the information on your grandparents.

                I think the “Minisztertanácsi” information relates to the Bubla family in
                Romania.

                Janet

              • Dennis Lee Bubla
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 13, 2005
                  You are exactly right. The only names I have to go on is Michal
                  Bubla and Berta (rod. Gallova) Bublova, the ggrandparents. I asked
                  for and received a marriage certificate from the National Archives,
                  but it did not reflect the towns of birth or residences of either the
                  gfather; Michal or the ggfather/ggmother Michal/Berta, so really I am
                  stuck. The only areas I know that they lived in is present day
                  Opatova/Trencsen/Trencin, which has already been established
                  consisted of their former Hungarian towns in that vicinity, now
                  swallowed up by the present Trencin. I suppose hiring a reasearcher
                  is in order, but wonder about the cost. Has anyone in the group used
                  a researcher? I have pretty much exhausted the U.S. National
                  Archives, but am waiting for some things to arrive. I have written
                  to the Church, where the gparents were married and the National
                  Archives again, but am afraid that birth certificates/death
                  certificates/evidences of records may not be available such as they
                  are in the U.S. Having just finished definitively tracing my maternal
                  family roots all the way to 12th century England, the only thing that
                  makes this paternal project rather difficult is having to learn the
                  systems of several countries and languages, all of which are
                  different.

                  wrote:
                  > You wrote:
                  >

                  > OK, so what does that tell me, except that in the ancient city of
                  Nyitra,
                  > which is now Nitre County Slovakia, there was a man named Johanes
                  Bubla. the
                  > rest is in Hungarian, so I am unable to read. . . .
                  >

                  > It does give you the old village name of Nyitranemeti (now Nemcice,
                  just
                  > outside Topolcany SK), in Nyitratapolcsany district in Nyitra megye
                  > (county). This might be useful information for a researcher.
                  >

                  > However, you must work backwards. Anything else is pure
                  speculation. Until
                  > church records become available through LDS, your only hope is to
                  hire a
                  > researcher who can begin with the information on your
                  grandparents.

                  > I think the "Minisztertanácsi" information relates to the Bubla
                  family in
                  > Romania.
                  >

                  > Janet

                • Dennis Lee Bubla
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 13, 2005
                    It is indeed difficult, but when someone in a group like this has
                    success in their research, it is rather exhilarating for all the
                    members in that group. Let us know what you learn from your Hungarian
                    translator.

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 13, 2005
                      You might try contacting the following:

                      Peter Nagy: http://www.centroconsult.sk, or via e-mail
                      nagy@..., and
                      Vladimir Bohinc at his email address: konekta@....

                      I believe both of these researchers have excellent reputations.

                      Janet
                    • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 13, 2005
                        I second both recommendations.
                        Bill

                      • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 13, 2005
                          There are many pieces of data in vital records that are not necessarily
                          transcribed to a marriage certificate.

                          Many genealogists request a Marriage Certificate, when in fact, all
                          they really
                          need is the data from the records books.
                          A Marriage Certificate is an official government (or church) document, used to
                          substantiate marriage in the courts, for claims, for inheritance and so on.
                          These documents are restrictive in what they include. They take time to
                          prepare and include a seal, stamp and signature, to make them binding.

                          What I do is request the information from the record book, and I point
                          out that
                          the place of birth, last residence or anything like that is included in the
                          report.

                          In the U.S., the government vital records depts make a distinction between an
                          official certificate and one for genealogical purposes. In fact, it is
                          usually
                          marked as such and not sealed. It's not only cheaper, but it is quicker to
                          obtain. However, in most cases, when a records clerk sees a request for a
                          "certificate", they most often assume the full-blown certificate. While the
                          procedures vary from nation to nation, it has been my experience that
                          this same
                          behavior applies to most European nations' recordkeepers as well.

                          Bill Tarkulich

                        • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 13, 2005
                            A couple points:

                            1. Why not go to the LDS Family History Center and order the 1869 Census
                            Microfilms, before hiring someone. See if the surname was there in the
                            village. 1869 was the first complete national enumerated headcount. Small
                            cost, small effort. Cherry picking time!

                            2. Pre-1895 Church records were for the most part removed from the churches in
                            1952 to the State (national) Archives. see
                            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/history.htm#chronology

                            3. Unless your family were noblemen, the majority of family records go back no
                            further than the early 1700s, thanks to their peasant status. Forget about
                            getting to the 12th Century.

                            4. Researchers in Slovakia are inexpensive, compared to their American
                            counterparts. Plus, you are doing something for the economy of your
                            ancestors'
                            land.

                            Bill