Land Claim expectations

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10 3:07 AM
      With a flurry of interest in land claims on this board, It is important to
      temper your expectations.
      As a direct descendant you should be aware that:

      1. Your share is most likely fractional: owned jointly with other heirs.
      You potentially could be sharing ownership with as many as 50 other people
      in Slovakia. If these are your grandparents or great grandparents, then all
      their descendants (your siblings, aunts, uncles and their descendants) will
      also share in a proportional ownership.
      2. Your fraction could be as little as 1/256th or LESS due to hereditary
      succession laws (American-style "wills" are not customary.)
      3. Getting a group of joint owners to decide to do anything with the
      property is a Herculean effort. This is one reason why we see abandoned and
      deteriorating property in rural Slovakia villages today.
      4. Joint share ownership by any unknowns after this fall will pass to state
      ownership. Do you really want to jointly own land with the state?
      5. Most of our immigrant ancestors came from small, rural villages. Most of
      these land parcels are a few acres at the most. Land values in these
      regions may only be US$100 per acre. You share may be "worth" only a few
      dollars by the end of it all.
      6. Even if everyone can agree, there is no real market for these properties,
      consequentially, there are hardly any buyers.
      7. Most locals cannot afford to "buy out" each others shares.

      I strongly believe that if you make a claim that you should in-turn release
      it to one or more of the families that live in Slovakia today. It is their
      families who had to suffer through two world wars, poverty, communism,
      disease and difficult living. In my opinion, they deserve the land share.
      Our ancestors escaped this, with no expectation of property ownership or in
      going back again. We indeed have received much more than our Slovakia
      ancestors ever will.

      Please don't promulgate the stereotype of the "greedy American" whose only
      interest is in laying claim to the "family farm", which is many people's
      biggest fear. They have suffered as subjects to so many, now that they
      finally have their independence, we should support them. Let's give
      something back.

    • Beth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10 6:03 AM
        "I strongly believe that if you make a claim that you should in-turn release
        it to one or more of the families that live in Slovakia today. It is their
        families who had to suffer through two world wars, poverty, communism,
        disease and difficult living. In my opinion, they deserve the land share.
        Our ancestors escaped this, with no expectation of property ownership or in
        going back again. We indeed have received much more than our Slovakia
        ancestors ever will.

        Please don't promulgate the stereotype of the "greedy American" whose only
        interest is in laying claim to the "family farm", which is many people's
        biggest fear. They have suffered as subjects to so many, now that they
        finally have their independence, we should support them. Let's give
        something back."

        Very well said; I agree whole-heartedly.

        Beth