Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Village meaning "grain"

  • bill.tuttosi@bmo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12 2:33 PM
      I do not know any Slovakian, Croatian or Magyar language.
    • Fred Corbett
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12 4:59 PM
        Per a dictionary that I cited earlier, the following words mean "Grain".

        grain chlp
        grain jadro
        grain letá (v dreve)
        grain náklonnos?
        grain obilie

        Hope this helps

        fred

      • helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12 6:55 PM
          In a message dated 3/12/0 11:07:10 PM, luganin@... writes:

          << a village in the Kosice area
          that means "grain?" >>

          Just a guess - Kobyly - it's in Saris and at one time a part of Kosice was in
          Saris. I went way out of my way one time to take a prayer book there from
          an elderly lady to her relatives so the name is "ingrained" on my brain.
          Sorry for the pun.

          helene
        • ylbrd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12 7:58 PM
            In a message dated 03/12/2000 5:07:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            luganin@... writes:

            > From: luganin@...
            >
            > Any ideas as to where I might look to find a village in the Kosice area
            > that means "grain?" It will be a big help to a friend in starting his
            > research.
            > Jan P in CT

            Anglicky(english) Slovensky (Slovak)
            grain náklonnost
            grain letá (v dreve)
            grain zrno
            grain vlákno
            grain chlp
            grain jadro
            grain obilie
            grain povaha
            grained zilkovaný
            grained zilkovaná
            grained zilkované
          • J. Michutka
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 20 5:50 PM
              I know this topic has come up on the list before, and now I need to know:
              a young (early 20s) Slovak relative has asked me about summer jobs in the
              US. I thought I saw a post in just the last couple weeks, in which someone
              mentioned a URL about this (green cards?), but I've gone through those
              posts this weekend and can't find it now; also, didn't someone several
              months ago mention an organization to avoid--some group that promises to
              find jobs or something, but isn't quite legal...my memory is pretty vague
              on this one.

              Any suggestions or advice appreciated; personally, I can't imagine how
              she'd come out very far ahead with just a summer job, once she subtracts
              airfare and living expenses...and I'm trying to figure out if she's hinting
              to stay with my family (and I don't have a guest room, and whole bunch of
              etceteras!). But I want to give her all the information she needs.

              Oh, and before I forget...official announcement: I'm going to
              Slovakia!!!!! My oldest daughter and I are joining one of Helene's summer
              tours, and there are no words in any of the languages I've studied, and
              probably not in Slovak either, that describe how excited we are! My
              husband asked me what I wanted for a Valentine's Day present, and I told
              him I wanted to go to Slovakia....18 years of marriage to me, and he still
              hasn't learned to be careful what he asks.... And then the night after I
              sent off my deposit for the trip, I dreamed I was adopted, and all this
              genealogy and history I've been doing had nothing to do with me, after
              all...talk about a nightmare! My kid sister tried to allay my fears,
              pointing out that I have our mother's total lack of subtlety so I must be
              my parents' true child...gee, that was comforting....

              Thanks in advance for any advice on the job question (I guess it's also a
              visa question?)!

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • J. Michutka
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 21 5:54 AM
                I'm sorry--I sent the post on summer jobs to the wrong list--I meant it to
                go to Slovak World and I hit the wrong address in my address book!

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...