[S-R] Koschulna?

  • James McGrath
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
      One more question. There is a reference in an Ellis
      Island ship manifest to a cousin of a relative of
      mine, living in a place called Koschulna. The manifest
      is typed, so it is presumably not a misspelling. Does
      anyone know if this is perhaps a way of referring to
      'greater Kosice' or something like that? Any
      suggestions would be welcome.

      Thanks again!

      James

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
        You should be able to reach Peter Nagy via his web site
        http://www.centroconsult.sk/
        or via e-mail nagy@...
      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
          suzieforehand@... writes:
          Vladimir
          suzie,
          in trying to email Vladimir Bohinc, have you tried
          konekta@...
          he is usually quite good about replying to email.
          if you know the church where your grandparents had their children baptized,
          you could probably research the church ledger for the towns where your
          grandparents came from.
          Noreen

        • Frank R. Plichta
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
            The best I can find is Koscholna.

            Koscholna is a location name, first used in 1786, for the location known
            today as Kos^olna'. Kos^olna' is located approximately 11 KM Northwest of
            Trnava. It is also 3KM Southeast of Dolne' Ores^ay.

            Source of information: Na'zvy obci' Slovenskej Republiky (Vy'vin V rokoch
            1773-1997) VEDA, vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej akade'mie vied, Bratislava, 1998.

            Enjoy,
            Frank Plichta
            Searching the World for Plichtas.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
              I'll bet it is Kiscsula in Hunyad megye, now in Romania.

              Janet

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                That sounds more likely than my suggestion of Kiscsula.

                Janet

                One more question. There is a reference in an Ellis
                Island ship manifest to a cousin of a relative of
                mine, living in a place called Koschulna. The manifest
                is typed, so it is presumably not a misspelling. Does
                anyone know if this is perhaps a way of referring to
                'greater Kosice' or something like that? Any
                suggestions would be welcome.

                Thanks again!

                James

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                  At 04:40 AM 8/07/2005, you wrote:
                  >You should be able to reach Peter Nagy via his web site
                  >http://www.centroconsult.sk/
                  >or via e-mail nagy@...

                  and Vladimir at his email address konekta@...

                  Nick
                • Kathryn L. Turk
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                    "Szepes" (Hungary) = Spi� (Slovakia) county/region: Try C~erven� Kla�tor
                    near the Polish border on the Dunajec River.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                      There is a roman-catholic seminary in Spisska Kapitula (part
                      of Spisske Podhradie).

                      The seminary was founded on November 11, 1815.

                      During the communist regime it was closed (1950-1990)

                      website http://www.kapitula.sk/Seminar/index.html - Slovak
                      only

                      Ladislav

                      > Is anyone aware of the existence of a 'Szepes
                      > Seminary', possibly in Szepesvaralja/Spisske
                      > Podhradie? If so, please let me know - it turns out
                      > one of my ancestors worked there in the mid-1800s.
                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > James

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • James McGrath
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                        Thank you so much for the information! My
                        great-great-great-grandfather apparently was a
                        'servant' (claviger) there, according to the note in
                        the parish record when he served as godparent to my
                        great-grandfather. Perhaps if I contact the seminary I
                        may be able to find out more, however little!

                        Yours gratefully,

                        James

                        --- laco R <diskusie@...> wrote:

                        > There is a roman-catholic seminary in Spisska
                        > Kapitula (part
                        > of Spisske Podhradie).
                        >
                        > The seminary was founded on November 11, 1815.
                        >
                        > During the communist regime it was closed
                        > (1950-1990)
                        >
                        > website http://www.kapitula.sk/Seminar/index.html -
                        > Slovak
                        > only
                        >

                        > Ladislav

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • margesonny
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 28, 2009
                          I have seen his hame mentioned a few times and am wondering who he is.

                          Margaret
                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 28, 2009
                            Margaret,
                            Here is the link to Peter's homepage - http://www.geocities.com/peternagy.geo/

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
                              This is Peter's professional page. It's up to date.
                              http://www.centroconsult.sk/

                              Bill