[S-R] Szepes seminary?

  • James McGrath
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
      Is anyone aware of the existence of a 'Szepes
      Seminary', possibly in Szepesvaralja/Spisske
      Podhradie? If so, please let me know - it turns out
      one of my ancestors worked there in the mid-1800s.
      Thanks!

      James

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail
    • James McGrath
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
        One more question. There is a reference in an Ellis
        Island ship manifest to a cousin of a relative of
        mine, living in a place called Koschulna. The manifest
        is typed, so it is presumably not a misspelling. Does
        anyone know if this is perhaps a way of referring to
        'greater Kosice' or something like that? Any
        suggestions would be welcome.

        Thanks again!

        James

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
          You should be able to reach Peter Nagy via his web site
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/
          or via e-mail nagy@...
        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
            suzieforehand@... writes:
            Vladimir
            suzie,
            in trying to email Vladimir Bohinc, have you tried
            konekta@...
            he is usually quite good about replying to email.
            if you know the church where your grandparents had their children baptized,
            you could probably research the church ledger for the towns where your
            grandparents came from.
            Noreen

          • Frank R. Plichta
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
              The best I can find is Koscholna.

              Koscholna is a location name, first used in 1786, for the location known
              today as Kos^olna'. Kos^olna' is located approximately 11 KM Northwest of
              Trnava. It is also 3KM Southeast of Dolne' Ores^ay.

              Source of information: Na'zvy obci' Slovenskej Republiky (Vy'vin V rokoch
              1773-1997) VEDA, vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej akade'mie vied, Bratislava, 1998.

              Enjoy,
              Frank Plichta
              Searching the World for Plichtas.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                I'll bet it is Kiscsula in Hunyad megye, now in Romania.

                Janet

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                  That sounds more likely than my suggestion of Kiscsula.

                  Janet

                  One more question. There is a reference in an Ellis
                  Island ship manifest to a cousin of a relative of
                  mine, living in a place called Koschulna. The manifest
                  is typed, so it is presumably not a misspelling. Does
                  anyone know if this is perhaps a way of referring to
                  'greater Kosice' or something like that? Any
                  suggestions would be welcome.

                  Thanks again!

                  James

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                    At 04:40 AM 8/07/2005, you wrote:
                    >You should be able to reach Peter Nagy via his web site
                    >http://www.centroconsult.sk/
                    >or via e-mail nagy@...

                    and Vladimir at his email address konekta@...

                    Nick
                  • Kathryn L. Turk
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                      "Szepes" (Hungary) = Spi� (Slovakia) county/region: Try C~erven� Kla�tor
                      near the Polish border on the Dunajec River.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                        There is a roman-catholic seminary in Spisska Kapitula (part
                        of Spisske Podhradie).

                        The seminary was founded on November 11, 1815.

                        During the communist regime it was closed (1950-1990)

                        website http://www.kapitula.sk/Seminar/index.html - Slovak
                        only

                        Ladislav

                        > Is anyone aware of the existence of a 'Szepes
                        > Seminary', possibly in Szepesvaralja/Spisske
                        > Podhradie? If so, please let me know - it turns out
                        > one of my ancestors worked there in the mid-1800s.
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > James

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • James McGrath
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                          Thank you so much for the information! My
                          great-great-great-grandfather apparently was a
                          'servant' (claviger) there, according to the note in
                          the parish record when he served as godparent to my
                          great-grandfather. Perhaps if I contact the seminary I
                          may be able to find out more, however little!

                          Yours gratefully,

                          James

                          --- laco R <diskusie@...> wrote:

                          > There is a roman-catholic seminary in Spisska
                          > Kapitula (part
                          > of Spisske Podhradie).
                          >
                          > The seminary was founded on November 11, 1815.
                          >
                          > During the communist regime it was closed
                          > (1950-1990)
                          >
                          > website http://www.kapitula.sk/Seminar/index.html -
                          > Slovak
                          > only
                          >

                          > Ladislav

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • margesonny
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 28, 2009
                            I have seen his hame mentioned a few times and am wondering who he is.

                            Margaret
                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 28, 2009
                              Margaret,
                              Here is the link to Peter's homepage - http://www.geocities.com/peternagy.geo/

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
                                This is Peter's professional page. It's up to date.
                                http://www.centroconsult.sk/

                                Bill