Re: [S-R] Somon, Luknar, Jendek

  • Suzie Forehand
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
      Dear Bill,

      I have tried to email both Peter and Vladimir. The email will not send--do you have a suggestion about how I can reach either of them?

      Thanks,

      Suzie

      Hello Suzie,

      I would be extremely uncomfortable going to a city to search for family based only on the information you have. I would have wanted to do a lot more researcher before I planned a trip such as this.

      Jendek and Luknar occur often in the Bratislava online phone book. Actually, too often to be of much help.

      You have too little information to know whether the spelling of the SOMON name is correct, especially since there is no occurrance of this specific spelling. Many possibilities exist. The name could have been shortened; Also, the surname line could have died off; the family could have moved or been deported;
      The American transliteration of SOMON to SHOMON suggests the first letter was an "S" with a hacek (upside-down u) accent mark above it.
      It's possible you have the correct spelling, but we cannot be certain yet.

      What is the ethnicity and religion of your SOMON family? And the other names? What year did they emigrate? This can narrow things down.

      Who were their friends? Were their other people in America that may have come with them or that they associated with, or from their village/neighborhood? Tracing friends can be a useful path as well.
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/eidb_strategies.htm#sticky

      What other connections have you made with other researchers of these surnames? Have you checked the US census 1900-10-20-30 for supporting information?

      Do you speak Slovak? It would be extremely helpful to have the services of an interpreter.

      I believe you are already aware that post-WWII, many people migrated for employment. In fact, many went to the Czech Republic. You are also correct in assuming that they didn't necessarily live in the vineyard village where they worked. A healthy walk from the city would have been common.

      If you are dead set on going, I would highly recommend hiring someone locally such as Peter Nagy http://www.centroconsult.sk/ or Vladimir Bohnic http://www.konekta.sk/ to do some advance work on your behalf. Specifically, to make some calculated phone calls and try to flush out prospective families.

      It is too late now, but you really should petition the BCIS/INS for a copy of their immigration files.
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm#ins

      You may also want to check with the Land registry, especially with the more "rare" names to see if and where the name occurs. http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/land.html

      Good Luck,
      Bill Tarkulich

      >From: Suzie Forehand <suzieforehand@...>
      >Date: Wed Jul 06 08:56:29 CDT 2005
      >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [S-R] Somon, Luknar, Jendek

      >Greetings,
      >
      >I am new to the group, and this is my first posting. My sister and I are going to Bratislava on August 2. The purpose of our trip, apart from sightseeing, is to find some relatives. We have very little information, other than locating our grandmother and grandfather's names on the Ellis Island lists. Following is the only information we have, other than 3 photos, from our deceased father:
      >
      >Our father Joseph Shomon was the son of Veronica Luknar (1890-1977) and Joseph (Ferencz) Somon (1884-1934). The story we have about how our grandparents met is that they were in--perhaps working--a vineyard just outside Bratislava in a town called Raca and fell in love. Veronica's parents were Julia Jendek and Emirick Luknar. Joseph's father was Anton Somon. I do have the first names of our grandparents siblings, though I do not know if that will help.
      >
      >I have checked the Bratislava phone book with no success. I found Raca on a map and it is 4.9 miles north of Bratislava.
      >
      >I am leaving Virginia on July 27 to meet my sister in Madrid before journeying to Bratislava.
      >
      >We would appreciate any help with our search.
      >
      >Suzie Forehand

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James McGrath
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
        Is anyone aware of the existence of a 'Szepes
        Seminary', possibly in Szepesvaralja/Spisske
        Podhradie? If so, please let me know - it turns out
        one of my ancestors worked there in the mid-1800s.
        Thanks!

        James

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Mail
      • James McGrath
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
          One more question. There is a reference in an Ellis
          Island ship manifest to a cousin of a relative of
          mine, living in a place called Koschulna. The manifest
          is typed, so it is presumably not a misspelling. Does
          anyone know if this is perhaps a way of referring to
          'greater Kosice' or something like that? Any
          suggestions would be welcome.

          Thanks again!

          James

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
            You should be able to reach Peter Nagy via his web site
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/
            or via e-mail nagy@...
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
              suzieforehand@... writes:
              Vladimir
              suzie,
              in trying to email Vladimir Bohinc, have you tried
              konekta@...
              he is usually quite good about replying to email.
              if you know the church where your grandparents had their children baptized,
              you could probably research the church ledger for the towns where your
              grandparents came from.
              Noreen

            • Frank R. Plichta
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                The best I can find is Koscholna.

                Koscholna is a location name, first used in 1786, for the location known
                today as Kos^olna'. Kos^olna' is located approximately 11 KM Northwest of
                Trnava. It is also 3KM Southeast of Dolne' Ores^ay.

                Source of information: Na'zvy obci' Slovenskej Republiky (Vy'vin V rokoch
                1773-1997) VEDA, vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej akade'mie vied, Bratislava, 1998.

                Enjoy,
                Frank Plichta
                Searching the World for Plichtas.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                  I'll bet it is Kiscsula in Hunyad megye, now in Romania.

                  Janet

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                    That sounds more likely than my suggestion of Kiscsula.

                    Janet

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                      At 04:40 AM 8/07/2005, you wrote:
                      >You should be able to reach Peter Nagy via his web site
                      >http://www.centroconsult.sk/
                      >or via e-mail nagy@...

                      and Vladimir at his email address konekta@...

                      Nick
                    • Kathryn L. Turk
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                        "Szepes" (Hungary) = Spi� (Slovakia) county/region: Try C~erven� Kla�tor
                        near the Polish border on the Dunajec River.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                          There is a roman-catholic seminary in Spisska Kapitula (part
                          of Spisske Podhradie).

                          The seminary was founded on November 11, 1815.

                          During the communist regime it was closed (1950-1990)

                          website http://www.kapitula.sk/Seminar/index.html - Slovak
                          only

                          Ladislav

                          > Is anyone aware of the existence of a 'Szepes
                          > Seminary', possibly in Szepesvaralja/Spisske
                          > Podhradie? If so, please let me know - it turns out
                          > one of my ancestors worked there in the mid-1800s.
                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > James

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • James McGrath
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                            Thank you so much for the information! My
                            great-great-great-grandfather apparently was a
                            'servant' (claviger) there, according to the note in
                            the parish record when he served as godparent to my
                            great-grandfather. Perhaps if I contact the seminary I
                            may be able to find out more, however little!

                            Yours gratefully,

                            James

                            --- laco R <diskusie@...> wrote:

                            > There is a roman-catholic seminary in Spisska
                            > Kapitula (part
                            > of Spisske Podhradie).
                            >
                            > The seminary was founded on November 11, 1815.
                            >
                            > During the communist regime it was closed
                            > (1950-1990)
                            >
                            > website http://www.kapitula.sk/Seminar/index.html -
                            > Slovak
                            > only
                            >

                            > Ladislav

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • margesonny
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 28, 2009
                              I have seen his hame mentioned a few times and am wondering who he is.

                              Margaret
                            • Michael Mojher
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 28, 2009
                                Margaret,
                                Here is the link to Peter's homepage - http://www.geocities.com/peternagy.geo/

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
                                  This is Peter's professional page. It's up to date.
                                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/

                                  Bill