Re: Translation help

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 12, 2000
      The "unofficial" Slavic Studies School spokesman is
      correct as always :-)

      z^úpnik = parish priest, rector in Slovene.
      z^upa = parish + nik.
      -nik is an occupational title affix; same as in Slovak and Croat.

      svec'enik = priest, clergyman and z^upnik = parish priest in Croat.

      farár (Sv) Pfarrer (G) pap (H) = priest

      knez = priest, minister in Czech, and farní = parish.

      Bog

      To view the various Slavic alphabets with their diacritic marks try
      this URL.
      Click, SK = Slovak, CZ = Czech, HR = Croatian, SL = Slovene, etc.

      RUssian, YU (Serbian), and UA (Ukrainian) are shown with Cyrillic
      alphabets which they use instead of the Roman (Latin) alphabet.

      http://www.library.utoronto.ca/pjrc/fonts/hr-alpha.htm
    • Julie Mark
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 26, 2016

        I’m glad to know all this now!  Thank you again Sandra, it’s very helpful information.  I sometimes feel I find more valuable stuff on FamilySearch than I do on  Ancestry J

        Julie