LDS Family History Center

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 3, 2005
      CENTER (FHC)

      Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      research.

      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      translations.

      LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
      details.

      FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page references refer to
      different religions. Most of these church records are available on
      film via your LDS Family History Center.

      > So is this Ferencik a relative of yours? YES.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 3, 2005
        Check out the following site for Slovak genealogy research strategy.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
      • dlielc
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 3, 2005
          It would be interesting to track some other names I know of to see
          the connection. MJ

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
          wrote:
          > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
          > CENTER (FHC)
          > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
          > village is paramount because records are organized by village not
          > nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It
          > is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records
          for
          > Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site:
          > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          >
          > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
          > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family
          History
          > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
          > to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
          > film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
          > research.
          >
          > TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
          > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
          > translations.
          >
          > LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can
          download.
          > See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
          > details.
          >
          > FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
          > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
          > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
          > Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page references refer to
          > different religions. Most of these church records are available on
          > film via your LDS Family History Center.
          >
          > > So is this Ferencik a relative of yours? YES.
        • Andrea M. Kristiansen
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 2, 2007
            Greetings, I am new to the group. My name is Andi. My
            great-grandparents arrived in the U.S. around 1887-89,first settling
            in PA. as coal miners. Their last name was Kocai from Nagy Ida, now
            known as Velka Ida. Some of the surnames I am researching is Pavalko,
            Kocai (Koczai)and (Kotsay since immigration),Takach & Rohaczy.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 2, 2007
              What religion?

              LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
              deaths for Ve¾ká Ida, Slovakia, formerly Nagyida, Abauj-Torna, Hungary.
              LDS also has Reformed Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages
              and deaths for Ve¾ká Ida.
            • david1law@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 2, 2007
                Hi Andi:

                Welcome to the group! One the surnames that you mentioned -- TAKACH -- did
                catch my attention, as one of my distant ancestors is a TKACS from the
                village of KOLINOVCE. It is a common surname in Slovakia, so there may not be any
                connection between our respective ancestors, but one never knows. I can
                provide, however, a couple of insights. In searching for your TAKACH ancestors,
                please be aware that the TAKACH surname may have a number of alternative
                spellings, including TKACS, TKATS, TKACH, among other variants in spelling. .
                The word tkáč means "weaver: in Slovak. The word takács means "weaver" in
                Hungarian. Both words appear to ultimately be of Slavic origin, as similar
                words appear in other Slavic languages -- the word tkát means "weave" in Czech
                and the word tkacz means "weaver" in Polish.

                There may also be variations in spelling with regard to the other surnames
                in your lineage, so when searching the records, it is good to keep an eye out
                for the possibility. Sometimes, there may be a number of variations of
                spelling of a certain surname even within the same family clan. This occurs
                because surnames are often spelling phonetically.

                I also highly recommend Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research
                Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) . Bill has compiled
                an excellent and awesome website to help anyone who is searching for their
                roots in Eastern Slovakia. I regularly use his website as a springboard for my
                genealogical research. I wish you well in your search.

                Best regards,

                David

              • Ludovit
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008
                  It is my pleasure to find this group and you all. I have embarked on a
                  great journey to complete my genealogical tree. I must admit that I am
                  much better at treasure hunting than actual research. I have found many
                  documents pertaining to my Slovak heritage and some implications of
                  further Czech lineage further back in history that I've not been able
                  to validate 100%. My great grandfather born Ludivit Leporis was
                  compelled to assimilate Hungarian culture and thusly use the name Lajos
                  Leporisz. He immigrated to the US in 1913 and later that year sent for
                  my Croatian great grandmother. They came from Pivnice. The family had
                  existed there as protestants for 120 years coming most likely from
                  Presov. Although it is likely uncommon for a Slovak to have a latin
                  surname it seems to have some basis of issue. The family still has
                  presense in Bratislava, Prievdza and the country side. I am currently
                  looking for sound reference to the family in Presov were they have
                  recently been located in records of the Evangilical Church in order to
                  obtain my next link to the late 1700's.
                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008
                    What do you have as far as documentation? and what latin surname? In church records the names will be moved to Latin if possible, for both churches depending on the time-period. It  is not uncommon, for example, to find documents from the German land of Sachsen (Saxony) that label the wife as "uxor."  Leporis.... Let's see what we find :-)

                    the last name LEPORIS was found in Slovakia 60 times, overal count of localities, 16, in these localities:
                    PRIEVIDZA III-NECPALY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 16×;
                    PRIEVIDZA I-STARÉ MESTO (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 12×;
                    VECHEC, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 6×;
                    PRIEVIDZA IV-KOPANICE (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 5×;
                    NITRIANSKE PRAVNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 4×;
                    KĽAČNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 3×;
                    TURČIANSKE TEPLICE, okr. MARTIN (od r. 1996 TURČIANSKE TEPLICE) – 3×;
                    HANDLOVÁ, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 2×;
                    PRIEVIDZA II-PÍLY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 2×;
                    DUNAJSKÁ STREDA, okr. DUNAJSKÁ STREDA – 1×;
                    KOMÁRNO, okr. KOMÁRNO – 1×;
                    MODRA, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) – 1×;
                    PEZINOK, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) – 1×;
                    KARLOVA VES (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;
                    DÚBRAVKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;
                    VEČA (obec ŠAĽA), okr. GALANTA (od r. 1996 ŠAĽA) – 1×;

                    The last name LEPÓRIS was found in Slovakia 8×, overall count of localities: 1, In the localities:
                    UHORSKÉ, okr. LUČENEC (od r. 1996 POLTÁR) – 8×;

                    Latin surnames are not so uncommon, as you see. I myself am related to Slovaks named Rafaelis....
                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008
                      Ben,

                      Thanks for your welcome. I see you have found�some of the same occurances of Leporis that I have. The documents I have include my family's birth and death records from the Evangilical Church in Pivnice complete since thier arrival in the 1780's. Additionally I have a copy of the family's coat of arms and letter of issue from Maria Theresa. Also, in my possession is a combined document of the Siebacher's Wappenbuch and Hungarian 'Turul' which describe the possible evolution of the family's name to the latin which we use today. I say possible because the implications are significant to me and therefore warrant further scrutiny. FYI, Leporis is genitive case " of lepus ". Much of what I am uncovering today was lost to the family today even in Slovakia.

                      What do you have as far as documentation? and what latin surname? In church records the names will be moved to Latin if possible,�for both churches depending on the time-period. It� is not uncommon,�for example, to find documents from the German land of Sachsen (Saxony) that label the wife as "uxor."� Leporis.... Let's see what we find�:-)

                      the last name LEPORIS was found in Slovakia 60 times, overal count of localities, 16, in these localities:
                      PRIEVIDZA III-NECPALY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 16�;
                      PRIEVIDZA I-STAR� MESTO (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 12�;
                      VECHEC, okr. VRANOV NAD TOP�OU � 6�;
                      PRIEVIDZA IV-KOPANICE (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 5�;
                      NITRIANSKE PRAVNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA � 4�;
                      K�A�NO, okr. PRIEVIDZA � 3�;
                      TUR�IANSKE TEPLICE, okr. MARTIN (od r. 1996 TUR�IANSKE TEPLICE) � 3�;
                      HANDLOV�, okr. PRIEVIDZA � 2�;
                      PRIEVIDZA II-P�LY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 2�;
                      DUNAJSK� STREDA, okr. DUNAJSK� STREDA � 1�;
                      KOM�RNO, okr. KOM�RNO � 1�;
                      MODRA, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) � 1�;
                      PEZINOK, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) � 1�;
                      KARLOVA VES (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 1�;
                      D�BRAVKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 1�;
                      VE�A (obec �A�A), okr. GALANTA (od r. 1996 �A�A) � 1�;

                      The last name LEP�RIS was found in Slovakia 8�, overall count of localities: 1, In the localities:
                      UHORSK�, okr. LU�ENEC (od r. 1996 POLT�R) � 8�;

                    • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 4, 2008
                        Hello ?

                        Latin is often the official language of record in church books, not
                        necessarily the indigenous name, spoken or daily spelling of the subject in
                        question.

                        I am also rather confused as to your self-identified ethnicity. You label
                        yourself as both Czech and Slovak. Was there inter-marriage?

                        Using Ben's reference is useful, as is the online Slovakia phonebook.

                        I would however use these sources only as a starting point. Surnames may
                        be entirely unrelated, even within a small radius. I trust you will not
                        make an assumption that they are related based on the surname alone.

                        If, as you indicate your family has some heraldic components, you may want
                        to pursue this path. As you know, heraldic records are fairly complete for
                        good reason: succession, taxation and property ownership. There is a major
                        Heraldic association in Slovakia. Having said this, many "lesser nobles"
                        squandered their fortunes and titles and resumed peasant status in later
                        years.

                        As you will come to learn, I am generally not very enthusiastic about
                        trying to "read" into a surname. Surnames were adopted as late as the 16th
                        century. Most surnames morphed over time and any original meaning is often
                        times lost. Others will disagree, and certainly there are exceptions.
                        However, exceptions are the minority case.

                        All of this is not meant to discourage, but rather to ground you in the
                        realities and probabilities. This can save you considerable time in
                        minimizing wild goose chases. As they say in the military, "trust but
                        verify". Or, as I say, note the data, but insist on corroborative evidence
                        from a second, independent source before you count it as fact.

                        Good Luck to you.

                        Regards,

                        Bill

                        p.s., It would be a consideration to us if you would reveal your given
                        name, so we know to whom we are conversing with.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 4, 2008
                          Bill wrote:

                          "If, as you indicate your family has some heraldic components, you may want
                          to pursue this path. As you know, heraldic records are fairly complete for
                          good reason: succession, taxation and property ownership. There is a major
                          Heraldic association in Slovakia. Having said this, many "lesser nobles"
                          squandered their fortunes and titles and resumed peasant status in later
                          years.

                          As you will come to learn, I am generally not very enthusiastic about
                          trying to "read" into a surname. Surnames were adopted as late as the 16th
                          century. Most surnames morphed over time and any original meaning is often
                          times lost. Others will disagree, and certainly there are exceptions.
                          However, exceptions are the minority case."

                          GREAT points, Bill!
                          But, I have to also add that I have, in the course of my studies come across one more point to just fill what I think is one empty space: KNOW what you are reading!!!! At work, one girl came up to me saying that she was sure that she is German Nobility, and showed me what she had.  There was a coat of arms of the ruling family that she got from somewhere- and the occupation listed in the death-record she was showing me was: arbeiter! (labourer!) NOT exactly royalty. I think she had the coat-of-arms of the family her ancestors worked for. :-) Also, another friend found some letters, and said he found his grandmother's origin- Weiss Nicht! :-D I hated to break it to him that he just told me that he has made no progress- but complemented his German, and told him to start with Ich. :-D (Ich weiss nicht means "I don't know.") These sources are invaluable- but worthless if you don't know what you are reading.

                          If you find a "Kovac," for example, in your family, good luck on using it to find a location. Kovac means smith or metalworker, and every town had them. Seeing names in Latin, as Bill pointed out is common, and my marriage records are a mix of Slovak and Latin- and these are MY personal records!  Also, surnames had many systems, there were patrionic systems, locality names, etc.... and as he said, nothing solidified untill about the 1500's. Even then, some are NOT going to jive.

                          The heraldry is interesting- but I wish you more luck than my family had: On mom's side, she is from the clan McClellan. It was a good name, but one of our more "favorite" people drank and gambled the fortune away in the mid 1800's. His need for opiates has destroyed my dream of living in the Scottish countryside in a quaint 18,000 sq. foot castle... :-P

                          Take care!
                          Ben

                        • Julie Michutka
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 4, 2008
                            I'm on the fly today, so please excuse some short comments; I don't
                            mean to come across as abrupt.

                            "Lepus" is Latin for "hare"; leporis is indeed the genitive singular.
                            The name might in fact be Latin, or might be a coincidence of spelling.

                            Re: the IGI: never take it as gospel. Some people submit shoddy
                            work, eg you find your 3 x great-grandmother's birthdate! Hooray!
                            Being a good researcher, you manage to track down the submitter and
                            ask for the source of the birthdate, and alas, they reply "oh, I took
                            the marriage date and subtracted 16 years". Really.

                            Gotta run; welcome to the new member!

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...
                          • L. LEPORIS
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 4, 2008
                              Great points to remember, as I do when I find yet another piece of the puzzle. I'm always sceptical when finding something new. I am lucky that the family didn't move anywhere for such a long time while in Pivnice. I am taking it one step at a time to go back perhaps to Presov. We'll see.

                              Ludovit

[...]

                            • Bernardine Weigand
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 27, 2011
                                Hello,
                                After a long absence I am returning to your group. I look forward to
                                learning and sharing.
                                The family names in my Slovak heritage are: KOPERVAS(Z), MAKUCH,
                                CALFA , SZABOCIK, from the villages of CIERNE POLE and PAVLOVCE nad
                                UHOM.

                                I was very fortunate to have met some close relatives (first cousin
                                once removed) on the KOPERVAS side on 2 trips to Slovakia.
                                Sadly,this cousin passed away 3 yrs. ago. The information and history
                                she shared could only get back to my great-grandmothers CALFA AND
                                SZABOCIK. I hope to learn the names of g.g.grandparents.

                                Bernardine
                              • Michael Mojher
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 27, 2011
                                  Bernardine,
                                  Good new for you.
                                  Pavlovce nad Uhom records are online. http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#w=0&p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1554443 This link will hopefully open on the page for the online records that lists the different denominations. Click on Roman Catholic, then scroll down to Pavlovce nad Uhom, click on it to open the record files.
                                  The 1995 Slovak Census data base says that in Pavlovce nad Uhom there lived 13 Calfa and 12 Calfova and 14 Sabovcik and 13 Sabovcikova. You difficulty will be sorting your family out from those records. The data base had no listing for Kopervasz. The surname Makuch had 52 listings in 24 locations. Of the top ten locations 7 were in districts of far eastern Slovakia. Neither of your places were listed in the top ten.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 28, 2011
                                    >>> The family names in my Slovak heritage are: KOPERVAS(Z), MAKUCH,
                                    CALFA , SZABOCIK, from the villages of CIERNE POLE and PAVLOVCE nad UHOM. <<<

                                    It would be best to start a new thread rather than hijacking an existing one. That way, your replies will be segregated and grouped with the question/issue.

                                    What RELIGION was the family. RC records for Pavlovce nad uhom are online.