Bartosovic, Kovacovsky, Borova and Budmerice

  • kddid_1999
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
      Hello, I am new to this group, I have been searching for information
      on my Czech. ancestry and history for over a year, but with very
      little results. My Grandfather,Teofil Bartosovic born 1896 in Borova
      and his father Jozef Bartosovic (born) 1867, dod 1931 is buried in
      Borova cemetry.
      Teofils mother, Maria Benickova born 1867 buried in Borova also, but
      dod unknown.

      My Grandmother's, Julia Ann (Kovacovsky) Bartosovic's, family was
      from Budmerice, her father was Peter Michael Kovacovsky born abt 1874
      mother Anna Hrdlichka born 1876. Peter & Anna came to USA in 1906,
      with children, Helen,& Julia. I have found that name spelled wrong
      many times in my searches.

      Teofil and Julia Bartosovic they lived in Bratislava or Trnava abt.
      1923, and before returning to USA. I can not find anything on any of
      their immigration records or ships, or family ancestry in Europe. I
      know my Grandparents came into Ellis Island abt 1925 with children
      Irene, Francis, Joseph, and my Grandfather came to the USA himself in
      1914 or 1918, and returned to Czech. with Julia abt 1922. I can't
      find any records of any trips, I think the last names were spelled
      wrong on ship records, but still haven't found anything. I would like
      to find information on Great Grandfather's, Jozef Bartosovics siblings
      from Borova, also. I would so greatly appreciate any help you might
      be able to give, thank you in advance.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
        1) Let's get our basics straight. Borova, a small village due west
        of Trnava? Agreed? Current country is Slovakia. This ancestry is NOT
        Czech but Slovak.

        2) Budmerice is 4 km southwest across the fields from Borova.

        3) Both villages were in the former Pozsony Megye = county.

        4) 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg

        Budmerice was called Gidrafa, two villages west of NAGYSZOMBAT.
        Borova was called Fenyves. Look in the yellow map area to locate the
        old villages.

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        will likely find in church records.

        6) You need to specify the religion as old records were kept by the
        relevant church.

        2) Though church records exist in Slovak archives, LDS has filmed
        but not yet indexed and released these (western Slovakia) records on
        film. Someday.

        FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page references refer to
        different religions. Most of these church records are available on
        film via your LDS Family History Center.

        7) If you don't want to wait for LDS to release the church records
        and you want to PAY for archival research:

        WRITING TO ARCHIVES
        For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
        Click on SEARCH
        Click on RESEARCH HELPS
        Click on the letter "C"
        Scroll to the bottom of the page
        Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
        Also select and print PDF document Czech Word List

        Happy hunting.
      • kddid_1999
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
          THANK YOU so much "johnqadam" for your reply and information to my
          query. I have learned much from the information you gave me here,
          and appreciate it so. As I said I am a beginner on my search and
          quest, and have much to learn, I am thrilled with what you have
          told me here, again thank you very much,.... kddid

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
            The great pity is that you can't start researching the old church
            records locally. What you CAN do is to locate your nearest LDS Family
            History Center (FHC) and research the fiche series #6000786. That will
            tell you what church records exist in the (named) Slovak Archive.
            These HAVE been filmed by LDS and WILL be released SOME DAY.

            FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page references refer
            to different religions.

            When indexed, these church records will be available on film via your
            LDS Family History Center.
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
              wrote:
              > The great pity is that you can't start researching the old church
              > records locally. What you CAN do is to locate your nearest LDS
              Family
              > History Center (FHC) and research the fiche series #6000786. That
              will
              > tell you what church records exist in the (named) Slovak Archive.
              > These HAVE been filmed by LDS and WILL be released SOME DAY.
              >
              > FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
              > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
              > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
              > Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page references refer
              > to different religions.
              >
              > When indexed, these church records will be available on film via
              your
              > LDS Family History Center.
              > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

              ahoj !

              To the best of my information.

              The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
              of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.
              But, they have not filmed the Main Bratislava Archives as yet.
              Boravá and Budmerice each have a church and a chapel.

              The R.C. parish church records for Boravá (1687-1901) would be listed
              under Dlhá (of which there are a number of Dlhá located in Slovakia)

              The R.C. parish church for Budmerice (1774-1895) are listed under
              Budmerice.
              These also have not been filmed as yet by the LDS-Mormons.

              So researcher needs to write to the Main Bratislava Archives to
              research their surnames.
              It will costs $$ to have archives research surnames and the research
              reports will be written in Slovak.

              Good luck !
              Vela' s^ta'stia !
              Minden jo't !