Re: MERTH, SCHNEIDER, OBENAUS from Bohemia

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2005
      The records of the Czech Archives have not been filmed by LDS. The
      following document may assist you in having the archives do your
      research for a fee.

      WRITING TO ARCHIVES
      For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
      Click on SEARCH
      Click on RESEARCH HELPS
      Click on the letter "C"
      Scroll to the bottom of the page
      Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
      Also select and print PDF document Czech Word List
    • Joe zima
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2005
        Thomas Pluth <gruntleader@...> wrote:
        Greetings Group;

        I am Tom, a new member here, and I am researching the
        above surnames. Here is a little about them.

        I need info on family of Jakob MERTH, b. 13 Jul 1800
        in Oberbaumgarten (which is now Horni Pena, I
        believe), d. 24 Mar 1843 in same place. He was
        married to Rosalia OBENAUS(b. 3 Sept 1813, d. 14 Mar
        1869). Her parents were Franz OBENAUS and Rosalie
        Scheler. They had at least one son, Ignatz (or
        Ignatius) MERTH (b. 18 Jul 1834, d. 27 Apr 1884 in
        Bohemia). I am looking for info on Jakob's parents,
        Johan MERTH (b. 1765) and Rosalia WAGERIN.

        I think my OBENAUS' were from Dolni Zdar, near Horni
        Pena; I know Ignatz married Theresa OBENAUS
        (OBENHAUS) and she was from there.

        I am also looking for the parents and family of
        Mathias SCHNEIDER (b. 15 Feb 1834 in Oberbaumgarten
        (?), d. 15 Feb 1914 in Sleepy Eye, MN) His wife was
        Agnes OBENAUS (b. 14 Jan 1832 in Bohemia, d. 22 Apr
        1908 in Sleepy Eye). I believe she was related to the
        OBENAUS' mentioned above.

        Anyone with any information would be appreciated
        greatly. If I can help you, let me know.

        Tom
        Orlando, FL

        Hi Tom,

        I did a little searching in Leo Baca's Czech Immigration Passenger Lists books and I found the following in Volume IV --- New York Passenger Lists 1847-1869:

        SCHNEIDER, Math. 34, Agn. 36, Josefa 12, Anna 9, Carl 5, Marie 3, Ignatz 2, Marie 1/4. Bohemia. Arrived on the Circassian 10 June 1868.

        I would say that these are your Mathias and Agnes from Oberbaumgarten.

        I can tell you a little about Dolni Zdar (Niedermuhl) and Horni Pena (Oberbaumgarten) if you will contact me at my email address.

        Joe Zima

        Tinley Park (Chicago suburb) IL