Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation Help, Please

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2000
      Maura,

      All that you say is correct, but just as in English, there are shades of
      meaning and variations of meaning. Therefore I offered several shades
      of meaning, as in Frau. Frau is used as "Mrs.", but it is also used as
      "wife" and as "woman" when compared to "girl". The modern women today
      do take "Frau" as their formal title by age rather than by marital
      status - if they so wish. At least that is in everyday use if not in
      legal documents. I know several single "Frau" in their 40's and 50's,
      never married. They may answer to a friendly "Maedel" (informal for
      Maiden, girl), but not to "Fraulein" except by a waiter.

      The rest is similar, with "ruhe" = "rest" and "ruhe sanf = rest
      peacefully, or Rest In Peace", however "Rest in Peace" can also be "Ruhe
      in Frieden". The variations are very similar, despite "sanf = soft", or
      "ruhe sanf = rest softly" as I chose to translate it.

      One of the nicest expressions in German is for "Friedhof = Peace Yard",
      much nicer sounding than our harsh "cemetary".

      Your comment was a lot shorter, more concise and clearer, so we can
      stand by yours. This is just for further information.

      regards -

      Ron