Re: [S-R] Vienna - Slovak Section???

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2005
      In spite of the Austria-Hungary dual monarchy, for the most part present-day Slovakia was administered by the Kingdom of Hungary. Austria was the administrative crown for the Austria Empire, including but not limited to the "Czech Lands"/Bohemia/Moravia, Southern Poland, Austria, and so on. Consequentially most internal affairs records were kept by the respective governments and assumed by the successor governments (with certain omissions and exceptions, of course.)

      The only exception of interest to genealogy researchers that I am aware of is with regard to military records. Depending on the period of time involved, certain limited records may be found at the Vienna War Archive. See http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military_records_in_upper_hungar.htm for more information.

      Regards,
      Bill Tarkulich