RE: [S-R] Gap in RC church records

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 20, 2005
      How does one discover if missing records are in Hungary? According to all
      Slovak sources, early records from Lovinobana (old Lonyabanya, Nógrád megye)
      do not exist anywhere.
      Janet

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 20, 2005
        The house numbers you cite were those when the couple married. They
        may not be the houses used when they were born. I don't have any
        records on Susanna Lipniczky but suspect Joannes' parents were
        Michael Timocsko/Timotsko and Maria Szavcsak. He was born 30 January
        1859 while at Orlo 56. There are several other children born between
        then and 1863 but I didn't trace them. My best guess is Michael was
        born 28 Nov 1827, but it's only a guess as I did not find the
        marriage record for him.

        The 1869 census shows a Michael as the head of household but his wife
        is Maria Lesnik, possibly a second wife, but a Joannes is shown with
        an 1860 birth year. Since there is only a month difference, I suspect
        this is your relative. They were in Orlo 77 at the time while my
        group was in Orlo 89.

        I can't trace my family to yours because the likely connection rests
        with Michael. My earliest link is to Joannes Timocsko, born: C.1812
        and married 28 Feb 1840 to Susana Drabnyak.

        I found links in Parma, Ohio, Pittsburgh, Rhode Island and Passaic,
        NJ but lost several as the girls married. I fould very few male
        Timocsko relatives.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
        wrote:
        > If you can connect to Joannes Timotsko, b 1858, Orlov 80, married
        > Susanna Lipniczky, b 1863, Orlov 26, or their daughter Anna
        Timocsko,
        > b 05 Nov 1900, Punxsutawney, PA, I can provide downstream PA
        > connections (to Karolcik) but I have no upstream.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 20, 2005
          Thanks for the info. Every little bit helps. I will keep it on file
          for future reference and see if I can make any further connections.

          BTW, I just checked my files and we last communicated on this
          Timotsko/Timocsko branch May 2, 2004.
        • James McGrath
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 20, 2005
            Hi everyone! I've just come across a lead connecting
            someone with the family surname Juday to the village
            of Margitfalu, and so I want to take a look at the
            parish records. They are included on the microfilms
            for Gelnica, and so I was wondering if anyone on the
            list might know which of the microfilms contained
            these particular records. I've also managed to get
            back another generation and thus add another name to
            the growing list of families in my tree: Kubaczky. If
            there are any others out there with this name in (or
            in the vicinity of) Krompach, do get in touch!

            Thanks in advance for your help,

            James

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 21, 2005
              Do you mean how do you discover if the records are in the Hungary Archives? You either have to go there yourself or have someone go on your behalf and inquire. I do not believe that the Hungary Archives take direct inquiries.

              If Nograd was split between the two nations of Slovakia and Hungary, then there is some likelyhood you will find info in the Hungary Archive, since records were organized by county.

              Regards,
              Bill

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 21, 2005
                Yes, thank you, Bill, that was my question. Nograd was one of the counties
                that was split between Hungary and Slovakia. Lovinobana is about 10 miles NW
                of Lucenec and about 15 miles from the Hungarian border. The Slovak Archives
                have the church records from around the 1850s on, but not the earlier ones,
                and even those have not yet been released by LDS.
                Janet

                Do you mean how do you discover if the records are in the Hungary Archives?
                You either have to go there yourself or have someone go on your behalf and
                inquire. I do not believe that the Hungary Archives take direct inquiries.

                If Nograd was split between the two nations of Slovakia and Hungary, then
                there is some likelyhood you will find info in the Hungary Archive, since
                records were organized by county.

                Regards,
                Bill

                >From: Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...>
                >Date: Mon Jun 20 04:31:19 CDT 2005
                >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: RE: [S-R] Gap in RC church records

                >How does one discover if missing records are in Hungary? According to all
                >Slovak sources, early records from Lovinobana (old Lonyabanya, N?gr?d
                megye)
                >do not exist anywhere.
                >Janet

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • tlforgacs@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 21, 2005
                  Bill,
                  Just so you know. I sent to the Hungarian Archives and inquired about my great grandfather Stephanus Forgacs being in the Austria-Hungary Army. It took several weeks but they did send me a typed letter back. Terri Forgacs

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 22, 2005
                    What did the letter state?

                    ______________
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    Just so you know. I sent to the Hungarian Archives and inquired about my
                    great grandfather Stephanus Forgacs being in the Austria-Hungary Army. It
                    took several weeks but they did send me a typed letter back. Terri Forgacs

                    > Do you mean how do you discover if the records are in the Hungary
                    > Archives? You
                    > either have to go there yourself or have someone go on your behalf and
                    inquire.
                    > I do not believe that the Hungary Archives take direct inquiries.
                    >
                    > If Nograd was split between the two nations of Slovakia and Hungary,
                    > then there
                    > is some likelyhood you will find info in the Hungary Archive, since
                    records were
                    > organized by county.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Bill
                    >

                    > >From: Janet Kozlay
                    > >Date: Mon Jun 20 04:31:19 CDT 2005
                    > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: RE: [S-R] Gap in RC church records
                    >
                    > >How does one discover if missing records are in Hungary? According to
                    > >all
                    > >Slovak sources, early records from Lovinobana (old Lonyabanya, N?gr?d
                    megye)
                    > >do not exist anywhere.
                    > >Janet

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • tlforgacs@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 22, 2005
                      Bill,
                      It stated they could not find any facts on him and that if I wanted birth records I needed to check the Slovakian Archives since he is from Szepesolaszi (Spisske Vlachy) Slovakia and they only keep records for present day Hungary. They also stated that if he belonged to the historical well-known Forgacs family then they may be able to search the index of family documents but they would need more information like his education and career. I already have his birth records and don't know much about his education/career other than when he came here and worked in the mines, became a constable, and then a justice of the peace. Do you know if the Slovakian Archives would keep information on the Austria-Hungary war? And if so their address. Each time I google the archives the page does not come up. Terri

                      What did the letter state?

                      ______________
                      Bill Tarkulich

                      Just so you know. I sent to the Hungarian Archives and inquired about my
                      great grandfather Stephanus Forgacs being in the Austria-Hungary Army. It
                      took several weeks but they did send me a typed letter back. Terri Forgacs

                      > Do you mean how do you discover if the records are in the Hungary
                      > Archives? You
                      > either have to go there yourself or have someone go on your behalf and
                      inquire.
                      > I do not believe that the Hungary Archives take direct inquiries.
                      >
                      > If Nograd was split between the two nations of Slovakia and Hungary,
                      > then there
                      > is some likelyhood you will find info in the Hungary Archive, since
                      records were
                      > organized by county.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Bill
                      >

                      > >From: Janet Kozlay
                      > >Date: Mon Jun 20 04:31:19 CDT 2005
                      > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: RE: [S-R] Gap in RC church records
                      >
                      > >How does one discover if missing records are in Hungary? According to
                      > >all
                      > >Slovak sources, early records from Lovinobana (old Lonyabanya, N?gr?d
                      megye)
                      > >do not exist anywhere.
                      > >Janet

                      Yahoo! Groups Links