Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation Help, Please

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2000
      I think the Ruhet sanft, is a colloquial German for a phrase like "Rest
      in Peace". Sanft is correct, but it should be Ruhe ....

      Last line of silent night in German "schlaft in Himmlischer Ruhe"...
      sleep in Heavenly Peace

      The Lebenjahre could be translated as "lived so many years"... or age

      Hier Ruhel.. here rests

      Frau is Mrs., not woman. Frau is very specific. This is a married woman
      (or at least a person who had been married. ) There is only Frau and
      Fraulein in German, not a "Ms." <g>

      Hope this helps.

    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2000
        Maura,

        All that you say is correct, but just as in English, there are shades of
        meaning and variations of meaning. Therefore I offered several shades
        of meaning, as in Frau. Frau is used as "Mrs.", but it is also used as
        "wife" and as "woman" when compared to "girl". The modern women today
        do take "Frau" as their formal title by age rather than by marital
        status - if they so wish. At least that is in everyday use if not in
        legal documents. I know several single "Frau" in their 40's and 50's,
        never married. They may answer to a friendly "Maedel" (informal for
        Maiden, girl), but not to "Fraulein" except by a waiter.

        The rest is similar, with "ruhe" = "rest" and "ruhe sanf = rest
        peacefully, or Rest In Peace", however "Rest in Peace" can also be "Ruhe
        in Frieden". The variations are very similar, despite "sanf = soft", or
        "ruhe sanf = rest softly" as I chose to translate it.

        One of the nicest expressions in German is for "Friedhof = Peace Yard",
        much nicer sounding than our harsh "cemetary".

        Your comment was a lot shorter, more concise and clearer, so we can
        stand by yours. This is just for further information.

        regards -

        Ron