Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Burials

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2000
      Well, I don't think anyone can make a generalized statement as to why
      people are buried together......

      I've been lucky to get many burial records of ancestors in places from
      the US, to Sabinov to Ireland.... and the only pattern I can find is
      that the families tended to buy a plot and bury people as they died, as
      long as they were in the family they were in the "family plot". Only if
      they "planned ahead" in more recent years have I found spouses together
      and neat famiy groups in the same plot. Usually its whoever died first,
      followed by children, inlaws or whoever, until the plot was full... and
      then they get another plot which usually isn't even near the first one.

      And then there are instances of multiple marriages where the spouse
      remarried after the death of the first spouse, but is not buried with
      the second spouse, but wished to be buried with her "true love" her
      first spouse.

      Then I"ve got one person in a family plot in Brooklyn in the 1880's who
      I can't connect at all. I suspect it's an aunt under her married name,
      but can't prove it.

      The best advice I can give you is to keep an open mind, and look for
      other plots in the same cemetery or surrounding cemeteries for the
      spouses and other family members.

      Sometimes wills will specify where the person was to be buried, as
      monies were sometimes earmarked for perpetual care and for tombstones.

      Hope this helped...... or at least didn't confuse you further!