Re: [S-R] More book titles

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2005
      What I remember most about the influence of that grand benevolent despot,
      Maria Theresa, on the lives of our ancestors, are two things.

      First, her crackpot reforming ideas, like the notion of universal education.
      Our serf ancestors, boys and girls alike, received some primitive schooling
      from the village pastor or minister after her decree some time in the
      1760's, I think.

      Second, her attempt to regulate the possession of urbarial lands by the
      serfs, so that they attained to the medieval idea of each family owning, so
      to speak, the right to work a certain amount of cropland for its own
      sustenance.

      The real question is how far did the Empress's reforms work in the real
      world. Maria Theresa owed her grip on the crown to the support of the
      Hungarian nobles whom she recruited to her cause early in her reign. You
      get the feeling that part of the deal struck was to give them carte blanche
      on their own turf. At least they seemingly took it that way.

      We have to remember that the medieval way of life persisted in Hungary as
      elsewhere in eastern Europe, far longer than in the West, for the same
      reason that it had been invented in the first place. It was a workable
      solution to the problem of survival under continuous disruption by hostile
      forces. It maximized local self-sufficiency, to the extent that goods and
      services were produced very locally. It provided local military power.
      Hungary was on the frontier, and in fact a large part of the country fell
      prey to the Turks for a century or more. The country was still lagging
      behind Western Europe when World War I broke out.